Exhaust Muffler

papalima

I was wondering if anyone has tried either the oneida 13" "Stacking Sound Filter"or something similar on their Clearvue? I don't have the room for a closet and just looking for ways to reduce some of the noise.

Looking at the pictures on their site it looks like they are just a sound absorbing foam in a flanged cylinder. Unless there is something between the foam and the steel walls I think it would be pretty simple to make. Even an octagon MDF box would do it if you can't find a small metal drum to cut. The acoustical foam is readily available on line and possibly from local home theatre builders in your area. You can get a fair amount of the acoustical foam for a couple hundred bucks and the extra could be glued on plywood screens to place around the DC to help a bit more.

Pete

I emailed them and in typical Oneida fashion didn't get any useful information about what is inside. Someone I know might order one and I'm sure I can get him to tear it apart and look. I'm also concerned about it collecting dust and/or tearing up after a while, but Oneida says it needs no maintenance or cleaning.

They would never tell you what it is made of as we woodworkers are a resourceful and cheap bunch that would make them so they wouldn't profit from that. Understandable. I think it would build a thin dust cake and that's about it. Might even help with noise reduction. ;)

Pete

Any chance you have a smart phone you could download a decibel meter app to and take a reading of what it is now?

Pete

I just installed the 13" silencer and foam insert. I took DB readings from about 5ft away with my phone ( not scientific ). Before it was about 94db, after it was about 88db with a 6" blast gate open. Like slodat said, it takes out a lot of the harshness out of the noise. It's definitely noticeable.

Back