Exit transition orientation

Don01

So when I first started this adventure, I had no real idea where I wanted to end up. My day job was such that I just accumulated stuff knowing one day it would all fall into place and make sense. I had a number of different ideas about where and how to place my cyclone. This January I had no more day job, so I pulled everything out of my 15' X 25' X 10' H shop and covered the concrete with 1-1/2" styrofoam, 5/8" subfloor and 3/4" of some really badly milled birch flooring. This gave me an opportunity to reevaluate and make any required changes.
When I hung the cyclone in the left rear corner, I thought the filters would be better in the corner, so made that provision.
My noise levels are near 90db if the iphone apps are accurate. The concensus seems to be that most of the noise comes at the blower discharge, so I think I would like to rotate the Exit transition 180 degrees, extend the exit duct 3-4 feet, then drop to the filters. I can then enclose most of the cyclone and the additional transition duct in sound insulation.
I can move the cyclone closer to the left wall, which will allow me to eliminate some of the plumbing gyrations dropping down to my machines.

Any comments or suggestions.
Thanks

Don

PS
I need to dust my ducts.:eek: In my early days of experimenting, I turned on the cyclone with out the filters. Everything that was on the floor went everywhere. I think that having a plastic cyclone and duct will quickly identify any leakage of the exit side.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• CV1800 1.jpeg
    CV1800 1.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 2
  • CV1800 2.jpeg
    CV1800 2.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 2
  • CV1800 3 MAIN RUN.jpeg
    CV1800 3 MAIN RUN.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Don01,

It sounds like you are mainly working the problem of noise, trying to reduce noise from the cyclone. I enjoyed some success taming this noise. I never took measurements. My goals were to ensure that power tools were louder than the CV1800 when both are running and just the running CV1800 did not interfere with TV viewing in the living room, which shares a wall with the garage workshop. However, I probably could have been more effective had I taken some sound readings. Nonetheless, I succeeded achieving my goals.

My thoughts regarding this problem are:

It has been difficult for me to determine exactly from where all the racket is generated by my CV1800. The blower transition does account for some of the noise, perhaps most of the noise. The dust collector makers who offer mufflers like to put them where air leaves the blower before the filters and they claim a significant noise reduction. I have a central vacuum for the home and the vacuum canister/motor unit has a muffler stuck on the exhaust outlet. Therefore, the blower transition seems to be the first place to start.

However, there seems to be a lot of noise in and around the motor and the blower housing. Absorbing sound in and around the blower housing is, I think beneficial. However, when insulating the top of the blower transition, to took care to leave adequate space for the motor to breath. Generally motors running without load are very quiet so I made no effort to deaden any sound from the motor. I also insulated around the cyclone itself.

Obviously the filters, which are connected to the blower transition and therefore transmit blower noise, cannot be insulated. However, the filter stack can be shielded with plywood panels on which sound insulation is mounted.

Before I did any sound mitigation, I noticed that if I place some sound deadening insulation over the inlet, the CV1800 got noticeably quieter. However, I never took the extra step which is to insulate the cyclone inlet and pipe running into the inlet. Some standard HVAC dust work insulation may help tame any noise in this area, but since I did not try this, I cannot say for sure.

No matter what insulation you apply, there will still be some noise. My CV1800 sets in a corner like yours. I hung some insulation on the walls and the ceiling around the unit. The idea here is to absorb some sound that might bounce of the drywall. It helps a little.

Even though it appears you have little room to build an enclosure, one further step could be taken to enclose the unit will minimal space requirements. Hang some ½” plywood from the two corner walls. With insulation applied to the plywood, additional sound should be captured. The panels could be screwed to a cleat affixed to the wall. Other hanging methods could allow the plywood to be simply lifted off the wall mounting hanging brackets.

As for the sound insulating materials to use; I choose denim insulation, which is claimed by the manufacturer to outperform mineral wool and fiber glass for sound mitigation. I also found some 1’ x 1’ x 1” sound absorbing panels (UltraSonic Acoustic Panels). These are rigid square panels that are hung with 3M adhesive strips.

Regarding moving the CV a little closer to wall, I would not bother. You may get some benefit by extending the CV Inlet in a straight line for a greater distance, but since it is already installed, I would leave it as it is.

I would recommend sealing the joints in the duct work and joints of the CV, if you have not already done so. Dusty air is unlikely to leak into the shop from leaking pipe joints. However, there will be reduced air flow where you want it, at the machines. Also, leaks after the inlet will pump fine dust into the shop. I used 4” wide HVAC aluminum foil tape to seal mine. Silicone would work, but I simply preferred the tape.

I hope these comments are helpful – I was not exactly sure about what you sought opinions.

Thank for the response.
Certainly sound reduction is key right now with the opportunity to review the basic installation configuration.
I'll what I can come up with.
Don

Back