Filter life

Old Gaffer

Recently I have realized that the the performance of my CV1800 has degraded dramatically. I have a good sized shop (24 x 36) with 13 ‘ ceilings. All my runs are 6”PVC. When I installed the system in 2014 it would try to suck your hand off your arm. Now it’s not much better than my shop vac. I have gone over all my connections, resealing where it was suspicious. Nothing obvious. I’m wondering if there is a lifespan on these Wynn filters. Could that be the restriction? I’ve beat on it and blown it. Is there a life span?

Curly1

There will come a point where you can't clean them any more but you could try a filter cleaning service. Their processes are more thorough. If the cleaning is a dry process like McWinn use here an industrial filter can be cleaned 3 or more times bringing them back to within 2% of new airflows. They also check for holes and damage. You should tell them the filters filter from the inside out rather than the usual outside in that industry usually use. Cleaning should cost about 1/3 of a new filter. You could check with Wynn and see if they recommend anyone or if they can be cleaned dry or wet at all. Since you have gotten 5 or 6 years out of them and can expect the same or so for a new set the yearly cost is pretty low.

Pete

ScottF

I've had my Clear Vue for about 12 years. About 6 years ago while contemplating purchasing replacement filters, I called Mr. Wynn of Wynn Environmental, maker of the filters used in the CV, to ask him how to clean the filters. He gave me an idea I've used over the years. It requires two leaf blowers. I stick one leaf blower in the end of the filter and turn it on. Then I used the other leaf blower to blow the dust from the outside in (very important according to Mr. Wynn). As the dust is forced back inside the filter, the other leaf blower carries it away. My collector uses two stacked filters, I just leave them attached to each other for the cleaning operation. I also use my hand to tap the filters as I clean, this also removes considerable dust. Warning: this process generates an EXTREME amount of dust out the end of the filter. Be sure it's cleaned outside on a windy day, and be sure the wind is blowing in a favorable direction.

Mr. Wynn explained that the filters could be damaged by air pressure from a compressor hose, especially if the nozzle is placed too close to the filter while cleaning it. The pressure is far less from a leaf blower and non-damaging to the filters. That said, I have replaced my filters as there comes a time when cleaning is no longer particularly effective.