Filter Specs & Sizes

Altawoodworker

What should i be looking for in filters such as filter size, air flow capacity or media area, and micron rating? I haven't put in a dust collection system yet but looking for info and ideas. Just finished a 16'x 26' insulated garage/shop?

Thanks Ken

Filter Specs

Filter Specs

Ken,

Best advice I can give you is to go over to Wynn's site and start reading. Rick does a nice job describing the media, what to look for, the pros and cons of ASHRAE's test procedure, etc.

Essentially what you want is media that will handle the airflow, or somewhere between 800 and 1200 CFM. Then you want to see that it captures a very high percentage of 0.5 micron particles.

The thing about media is that, for a given filter area, which also translates roughly to assembled size, the smaller the pores in the stuff, the more material you need. Hence Pentz's, Clearvue's, and Wynn's recommendations for a pair of about 500 CFM filters for these units.

And yes, Clearvue's competition uses a single filter. What you'll find when you start delving into it is that, since the media area is about the same as Wynn's, either the pores are larger or they're running the filters closer to maximum, which also means as the filters age, the pores will clog and you'll end up with less airflow.

Anyway, for what its worth, that's the edited highlights. And I hope I didn't slaughter Rick's explanations too badly.

Regards,

DWD

sounds good, also looking for options for filters in Western Canada as from looking at the forum the wynn filters are harder to get here. I may have an option for a supplier but want to make sure the specs would match before i persued that too far and wanted a better idea what i was looking for. Thanks Ken

Filters/Canadian

Filters/Canadian

Ken, if you have no luck in the West, try the Maddocks Group in Hamilton ON http://www.maddocksgroup.com/. I picked up a couple of filters there last fall. Price is comparable I think, don't know what shipping would be to AB. They are a manufacturer, not a retailer so they don't take credit cards, but I'm sure some arrangement could be made. If you'd like an email contact there, write this fellow, he is the one that looked after me, Daniel Moscardini <daniel@maddocksgroup.com>. Good Luck!

Fred Alexander

Thank you all, as i get closer i will check them both out. Thanks For your input.

Another question, when you install the filters is the distance to the cyclone crucial or could they be located on the other side of the garage which would be about 14-15 feet away from where i am planning to put the cyclone. This would free up space on that side of the garage.
Thanks Ken

moving filters

moving filters

Ken,

It'll prolbably be alright to move them that far away but i would recommend either oversized flex pipe(I don't know if 8" would be ok) or better yet 8" solid pipe to keep the resistance low. 26 guage metal pipe on the exhaust side would be ok as long as you can get it sealed.

Matt

the two things that are in the way is an 8"x10" garage door on the end and then a natural gas infra red (radiant) heater along the side wall that I will have to work around. this will make it a challenge running the ductwork and still maintain the clearances to the heater and exhaust that i need to. I may even have to re-do the exhaust from the heater etc. thanks Matt for the input.
Ken

Back