Filters install

Boccie

I have limited room in my shop. I wanted the filters, but had to figure out a good way to locate them so they wouldn't take up space I could use for other things.

Decided to install the filters overhead in the rafters. Worked out well.

Used 8" insulated flexible duct for its muffling properties plus it seemed the best way to get from here to there.

Pictures posted in RickG in WV photo gallery. I still need to get the collection ducts installed.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Rick,

Thanks for the photo gallery addition. Like the idea, for those with lots of overhead space.

Question, though. Why did you decide to use the curved outlet transition?

Also, you may note an email saying I changed some permissions in your gallery. Just one, something Matt asked me to keep an eye on. Those wishing to comment must be logged it. There was a problem in the past where a web bot started adding comments to photos, with a link to a purveyor of adult toys. As owner of that gallery, you may also edit the permissions to suit your needs or desires.

Regards,

DWD

Last edited:
I used the curved outlet transition because I wanted to get the exhaust running up the wall. I could have drooped the flex duct straight down and a long looping curve going up the wall, but I didnt want the hose hanging down lower than it is. I also was concerned with crimping the hose if I tried to hook it to the outlet and bent it sharply towards the wall.

So the elbow was the answer. The rest of the bends in the hose are gradual enough as not to crimp it ensuring no restriction on flow.

I already had the outlet mounted in place before I later decided to mount the filters like this. Otherwise the best idea would have been to mount the outlet upside down and take the hose straight up.

At least all that makes sense in my head :rolleyes: but I sometimes do extra things just to be on the safe side. I am very good at creating extra work for myself.

I have noticed one benefit from this setup. When the cyclone is exhausting up there the air flow helps stir up the warmer air that has risen and circulates it around, forcing some of it back down making my shop warmer. Its been so cold outside lately that is a nice bonus!

Last edited:
Probably was actually less work, Rick, as you didn't have to scheme how to make the blower outlet into a flange, and make the requisite pieces. So in this case, maybe you balanced the more work / less work equation a bit.

Don't really have that problem down here in the southern swamps. Maybe you can call Gore and get him to ship you some of that global warming he keeps going on about. Ah, well, I probably should leave politics at the door.

Regards,

DWD

Back