First time duct layout

Corey Pelton

Hello everyone!

First post here! I've finally decided to step up my DC in my small garage shop (20x20x10). I'm happy to (soon) be a new owner of a CV1800. It will be delivered this coming Saturday. I had a couple questions about where you might layout the duct work for my particular setup? I chose this spot for the DC as its furthest away from the house proper and its where all my 240v lines begin. All of my machines are mobile, and are moved around as space and use necessitates. My biggest reason for needing a new DC was that my Minimax FS41E produces so many chips, my old DC couldn't even come close to handling it. It was a huge mess every time, and it made using the J/P combo machine a hassle. My other problem is that we do still park in the garage when I'm not working on a large project (which isn't often anymore) so I Tetris all the machines against the walls. Its a bit of a tight squeeze, but the cars can still fit.

So with the way my ducting will need to work, the drops will either be fairly short, mostly flex hose, or movable when necessary. I'm contemplating a pulley type system for pulling it up out of the way when not in use. That way I could get a bit longer drops. I think it could work, but might be more work than its worth. I have quite a few limits to what I can do, as I have 2 large overhead racks that hang toward the front of the garage. They block a good portion of my overhead space unfortunately. Plus the garage door itself makes for a bit of challenge for hanging the CV1800 to begin with. I'm planning to hang it quite a bit higher than the 96" recommendation. Most likely wherever the bracket will go without interfering with the garage door track. I have about 22" of head room above the 96", so it shouldn't be much problem. The higher I can get the starting run of pipe, the better.

Pardon my caveman 3D work, hah. It's definitely been a help to lay it out and see how it works, though. I've been checking out a lot of the Bill Pentz layouts, and various other posts on this forum and others. I have a general idea of where things should go, but I'd love to hear any particulars you fine folks might be able to give me.

Thanks for taking a look!

Corey

GarageLayout3.JPGGarageLayout2.JPGGarageLayout.JPGGarageLayout4.JPG

Attachments

• GarageLayout3.JPG
    GarageLayout3.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 2
I would be tempted to run the pipe along the wall parallel to the door track and wrapping around the wall until over your bench. The end over the bench can drop to hook up to portable machines there or a portable downdraft/backdraft sanding table for getting the sanding dust. A few drops along the way would serve the machines there that you wouldn't always have out in the middle (drill press, bandsaw, etc.). One or two branches from it to the middle of the room will let you connect to ones there with your "elephant trunk". A pulley to hold it up out of the way is a good idea. What you have will be cheap to setup and serve until you decide if you want to make it more elaborate.

Pete

Thanks, Pete!

im in analysis paralysis atm, hah. I’m at the point where I attach the blower housing, and I’m really trying to find my best angle for the main pipe. My original idea would require about 10ft of 6” duct, but my worry is it won’t have a ceiling support until near the end of the run. My garage door has to open, so that seems like quite a ways of pipe with only the cyclone and one support.

Im thinking you might be right using the wall. I can probably make the pipe fit to the inside of the rack and run to the back wall. That definitely gives me the most coverage and an opportunity to add a few more drops down the walls.

Quick question! Will running the pipe at the higher angle affect performance at all? I’m hoping to run the pipe above the rack, as it would make thing much easier to work with.

Also, how do you keep the filter cap on the clean out box when this thing is on? Mine blows right off w/o securing it with a rubber band.

Thanks! 4256351C-495E-40D8-B570-BC3B26142839.jpeg1E0C87C2-E1DC-47C0-B8B2-F36A85F1438F.jpeg

I don't think it should have too much of an effect like that. You could get someone to toss a small bucket of dust into the other end in both configurations and see what the dust does as it flows onto the inlet and know for sure.

I can't give you an answer about the filter cap as I didn't buy the filters with mine. I'll be making a house to hold a dozen cartridge filters I got when I was working. 3000 sq ft :)

Pete

​All the duct is laid out. I have one last drop to install, and seal up the remaining seams. I’m considering adding blast gates to the main trunk if I do need more air flow. Would this be necessary? My concern is my main line, which I wrapped around the back and opposite side wall, might build too much static pressure. Here's the layout. Pics are in order from cyclone. I have 5 drops total. Capped in 2 spots.

start.jpg1stdrop.jpg2nddrop.jpg

​​​​​

Back