Found good source for SDR 35

oldergeek

I have been having a lot of trouble finding any local source for SDR 35 pipe. I am trying to instal my CV 1800 with 6" pipe and really struggled with the prices of schedule 40 PVC which was the only pipe that I could find anywhere within a 50 mile radius. That said, all my searching was done on-line.

A search for SDR 35, a search for 6" PVC, a search for 6" sewer, etc all returned no local hits, only 4" pipe. I finally discovered (after a week of searching) that Lowe's carries a good selection of SDR 35 pipe and fittings, it just doesn't show up on a web search.

6" Pipe is $35 for 10', Wyes are $22.50, 45s $22.50, they even carry a 22 deg bend.

OBTW, I'm in South Alabama, on the Gulf Coast.

Hope this can help someone out.

Thanks for posting this. Another place to look for the 6" thin wall sewer and drain (S&D) pipe are irrigation supply companies. This pipe is not used by plumbers but is regularly used by irrigation companies. Here in Richmond VA I found a plumbing supply company called VAMAC that also supplies irrigation companies and they carried the 6" white thin wall S&D pipe (2729). My local Lowes also has the SDR 35 6" pipe, so another geographical confirmation for Lowes as a source.

Note that both the 2729 and SDR 35 have the same outside diameter complying with the ASTM D3034 standard, but they have DIFFERENT inside diameters. The SDR 35 has thicker walls, thus a smaller inside diameter. As a practical matter, this means that the Clear Vue blast gates will work for both pipe, but the Lee Valley blast gates recommended by Bill Pentz will be a good fit only for the SDR 35. Reason: the Lee Valley blast gates fit inside the pipe, the Clear Vue blast gates fit outside the pipe.

Another source of lower cost fittings is Zoro.com - they ship for free over $50 and they stock the Genova line of fittings to the S&D pipe we are using. See: https://www.zoro.com/search?q=genova+6"

That is really good information Rushton. Thanks for the additional source. On the 6" Blast gates, (mine are 6" to 4" doubles by Clearview) just came in yesterday and they were not as you described. They were the exact same diameter as the SDR 35 pipe. I had a momentary flash of clear thinking and reasoned that the Bell ends on the SDR 35 should make a good coupling. Turns out that they work nicely, but you have to cut all of the taper off. A 3 inch collar remains when you do that. Fit like a glove on my blast gates and of course the SDR 35. Saved the cost of a coupling.

I did end up sanding a slight taper into the inside of the tapered end of the bell to assist in getting them onto the blast gates. I have used about 50' of SDR 35 in my installation so far and that gave me 4 Bells that I had cut off. I only had one run that allowed me to use the bell to join 2 pieces of SDR 35. Luckily I had not emptied the trash and was able to pull 2 cut off bells out for re-purposing.

Oldergeek, this is interesting news about the 6" to 4" doubles. I'm in the "still to assemble" stage with my CV1800 and haven't tried out the doubles with my 2729 pipe. I'll check that today and report back about the fit with that pipe. Since the SDR 35 and 2729 are supposed to have the same 6.275" outside diameter I should find the same result as you are seeing with the SDR 35. I'll also check my regular 6" blast gates from Clear Vue.

I've just checked the fit of the Clear Vue 6" blast gates, the 6" to 4" double and my 2729 S&D pipe. As you observed, the 6" inlet to the double is exactly the same size of our 6" pipe and is the same for the 2729 pipe I have on hand. But the regular "stand alone" 6" blast gate is an exact fit for inserting the 6" pipe. My guess is that the design expectation is that there would be a blast gate above the 6" to 4" double with pipe coming into the blast gate as in the picture below. Your solution of using a cutoff from the bell end of the pipe is great for making the needed coupler. Thanks for sharing that! I hope you will also share other aspects of your installation so we can share via the forum with each other and other Clear Vue users.

Blast Gate and 2729 Pipe.jpg

Last edited:
I can't really say that I have discovered anything more than the trick with the Bell. I was not able to find any pipe other than the SDR 35 so all of my installation is based on that. Also, my 6 - 4" split has blast gates on each of the 4" inlets.

On another note I was able to build my own remote controlled on/off switch without spending the $250 for the Clearview unit. If you haven't gotten to that part yet, I'll be happy to share info.

Thanks for the offer of info on the remote on/off switch. I had planned to do the same but ended up purchasing the recently offered Bundle with 16" impeller that included it and the Bin Sensor. I was going to diy both of these, but I wanted the 16" impeller and the pricing for all of it together made sense. My biggest challenge has been trying to fit it all into a low ceiling basement and figuring out how I can run the ducts. I've now got that largely figured out and am starting on building the free-standing support stand this weekend.

Last edited:
Back