Hello,new here with a couple questions

dustybob

Hi my name is Bob I'm in Calgary Alberta. I'm working on installing my CV1800 and I have a couple questions.
Do the grooves in the MDF pieces, where they meet the plastic need to be sealed with silicone?
Can I reduce the outlet to the filters to 6" round pipe for a length of about 30" without affecting performance?

Thanks
Bob

Hi Bob and welcome to the list!
I don't think it is necessary to put silicone in the slots, but I did use some on the outside edge to help seal it. Figured it would be easier to get apart if need be.
Can't help you on the pipe to the filters. I exhaust outside, so made a new transition that went out instead of down, and used a metal 8-6-6 wye coming out of my transition and then 2 short flex hose sections to the louvered wall outlets. I wouldn't think it would hurt. Can't get more into the 6" input than the 6" output would handle, but I bet you could get a short piece of 8" snap lock to work. Since it is on the pressure side instead of the vacuum side, I don't think you'd have any problem with it. Jim.

Blower Output

Blower Output

Hi, Bob,

I agree with Jim regarding the caulk in the blower housing slots. I didn't even add it externally.

In theory, work is being done on the air, which will raise its temperature and thus lower its density. Which means for the same amount of mass you'd need more area. Now, the next question is would it be enough of an effect to be noticeable if you used the same area for outlet as you have for inlet? Or, stated another way, would you be in essence backpressuring the blower? I think, without doing any number crunching, yes.

So then the next question would be whether or not it would have any serious implication for your particular installation and intended use. Or, would the effect, noticeable or not, have any meaning to you? If you've got a rather straightforward collection ducting scheme, with short, reasonably straight lines with no tight bends, limited flex ducting, and plan on using but one tool at a time, then I'd guess the resultant airflow and suction would be adequate. If, however, you have a big shop with long duct runs, or have some convoluted bends, or intend to have a couple of ports open at once (like Rod and Denise's bandsaw), then probably wouldn't be wise to neck down the blower outlet.

Instead of 6", how about a similar length of 8" HVAC insulated flex ducting? Might even get some noise reduction out of it.

For what its worth.

Regards,
DWD

Thanks guys, for your replies I think I'll use a short length of 8" metal vent pipe and a couple of adjustable elbows. Then I'll be certain of maximum air flow.
Bob

Back