High Current Draw from Motor

Rougespear

Hello all, I hope you can help me as I am very confused.

My system is as follows: 18” cyclone and 16” blower housing (built as per Bill Pentz's drawings), 16" impeller from Clear Vue Cyclones, Leeson 5hp motor, incoming ductwork is 6" PVC, and my exhaust ductwork is 25' of 8" pipe (it is exhausted outside). My motor was wired by a qualified electrician. My amp draw with all blast gates closed is approximately 14.5 amps.

When I fire the cyclone up with only one 6" blast gate open, I get over 23 amps of current draw by the motor, well over the nameplate rating of 20.8 amps (FLA). The motor is also too hot to touch after running a few minutes. My duct run is approximately 10’ of 6” PVC to the back of an enclosed router table. I noticed that the CV1800MAX sold by Clear Vue Cyclones has an exhaust pipe of 8" as well as an 8" incoming duct size. This 8" incoming duct should pull even more air than my 6" pipe, and thus would cause the motor to pull even more amps than what mine is pulling, yes? I also read on this forum that other people with the CV1800MAX can have 3 6" blast gates open and still only pull 18-19 amps.

So, can anyone please recommend why my motor is pulling so much current with only one blast gate open. What causes the motor to pull so much current? Do these blowers require back pressure (ie: a filter stack) to not pull so many amps (and thus I cannot just blow the air outside with little resistance in the exhaust pipe)? Should I be constricting the exhaust pipe somehow to reduce the pipe size and thus increase resistance?

Thanks so much for anybody's help!

Cheers, Brent

Last edited:
Yes. I ended up fixing the issue as I discovered the electrician had wired the motor to turn in the wrong direction. I reversed the motor's rotation and all is well now... working well.

Boy does this thing ever have some suction power!!

Cheers!

The motor wiring was what I was going to suggest you check! Glad you found the problem -- what is the amperage draw now?

Current draw is less than 18 amps with all blast gates open, and approximately 13 amps with all closed up. Gee does this thing every suck air, even through a 4" pipe!

Thanks for the help!

Back