How do you handle cans full of dust?

JJohnston

I've never had any dust collection at all, so up to now it's been sweeping with a big dustpan and a shop-vac with bags. One thing I haven't seen covered is how to handle a big can full of dust (CFD). Since you can't put a plastic bag in the can first, what do you do? How much does a typical-sized CFD weigh? I just envision the slightest fumble resulting in the CFD lying on its side and dust all over the ground (and me) and in the air. I'm in a suburban neighborhood with wheeled trash bins and weekly pickup. Hobbyist - low dust production.

Dust Bins

Dust Bins

JJ
I had to empty mine last weekend for the first time. 3 months use and it was full. We use a 33 gal metal trash can and full it was probably 40 lbs give or take. Mostly table saw dust, plane and router chips. Some MDF but mostly pine and fir. I live in a suburban setting with city trash pickup. I just carried the can out in the driveway and dumped it in the plastic cans that we set at the street on trash day. A little breeze by Okla. standards but not much dust escaped in the wind. It was no big problem. If I could trust the trash collectors not to bend up the can, I could just put a lid on it and set it at the street but I'm not that confident I would get my can back in the pristine shape it's in. I've seen what they do to a plastic can.
BTW, I took the filters off and tapped around on the outside of them to knock any dust loose. At the most I might have a table spoon of very fine dust setting in a circle on the floor. The CV cyclone works like it should and better than anything else we've tried. This really should be the first major tool purchase for any woodworker.
Good Luck
Terry

Dust, Chips

Dust, Chips

JJ,

I'll second Terry's comment. The dust collector (pump) I've been using for a few years is a Delta 2 stage with a 55 gallon fiber drum. Though lazy and not particularly muscular, I've not had any problems lifting the drum full of dust. Certainly I've not had to lift a drum weighing much more than one of the 40 lb bags of salt I must feed into the water softener periodically.

Some have been able to put cruciform fittings into their dust cans, after inserting a bag. Another idea I've seen is a strip, appropriately wide and long, of some flexible plastic, placed inside the bag. Of course, either means you'll have to pull the thing out of the bag when you go to dump it. Pentz suggests some magnetic, refridgerator type of clips on the bottom of the can to hold the bag. Don't know if that works or not.

I usually dump mine in some flower and shrubbery beds, for mulch. Works well in this rather damp and humid environment as it decomposes quickly, but might not work so well in the southwest. Might be worth reviewing your yard to see if that might be possible, or even advantageous. Just keep it well away from your house to avoid creating a termite haven.

Regards,
DWD

Handling the dust and chips

Handling the dust and chips

I recently made a frame from 1/4 inch steel rod that holds a pull string bag inside the can. I just posted pictures of it in the gallery. I haven't used it enough to know how well it works but it collects the dust and does not allow the bag to be drawn up into the cyclone. It equalizes the vacuum on both sides of the bag. It loads very easily and it looks like it should be no problem in pulling the frame out of the bag when full. I too use shavings (from green bowl turning) and some sawdust as mulch around shrubs and ground covers. Just add a little general purpose fertilizer (10-10-10) to make up for the nitrogen loss.
bababrown

That looks pretty good, and simple, too. It's clear from the artwork on the wall you know your way around fabrication with steel rods.

How much clearance is there along the outside of each ring, and at the top?

I'd like to hear how it works after you've used it a while. How big a drama is there when you pull it out of a full can? Probably just comes right out if you jiggle it?

Last edited:
Handling dust and chips

Handling dust and chips

There is roughly 1/4 inch space around the edges on both rings and about the same at the top. Time will tell how much stuff makes it through the gaps but even if some does it matters little.
bababrown

Back