How Does Bin Sensor Shut System Down?

Nyaniko

I am considering purchasing the clearvue bin sensor, but am curious about how it shuts down the cyclone. I have done a custom wiring job on the system so if it requires having the electric box offered by clearvue (i.e. bin sense shuts system down via remote control) then it won't work.

The way I have it, a NC wire from the electric box can be opened to shut the system down. If the clearvue bin sensor has the ability to open that one NC control wire, then it will shut the system down.

The bin sensor will work easily with your electrical setup. I provide the systems that you see on the CV website -- the design includes a power relay that is used in conjunction with the dust collector control and basically, the NC wire can be routed to the bin sensor (using a segment of something like 14 ga NM cable), connected to the relay Common and the return wire from the Normally Closed contacts on my relay returns to where your original connection was made. When the bin fills and the alarm is triggered, the bin sensor relay trips and opens that NC contact to shut the cyclone down. I also provide a Normal/Bypass switch in the control box that allows the cyclone to continue running when the alarm sounds so the user can complete a critical dust collection activity before shutting the unit down by toggling back to Normal. The bin sensor also act as a passive unit when it is powered down and does not impede operation of the cyclone. IMHO, it is a good investment for avoiding bin overflow into those expensive filters.

If you send my your email address in a PM, I can send you a few pictures and more details.

Nothing technical here, but I have one of Rob's McRabbet Bin Sensors and it works great. His build quality is top notch and especially if your cyclone is in an enclosure or otherwise out of sight it is well worth your money. I've found that especially when I am using my planer, chips build up quickly in the dust bin and the bin sensor has saved me from messy overflows on many occasions now.

So far, it has triggered the audible & strobe alarms (which go off before automatic shut down) and I have manually shut down the system and I don't recall having had to use the auto-stop aspect of the bin sensor system.

There are threads discussing bin sensors on this forum and also quite a few photos of different installations both on the main CV gallery and also in the "Pictures and Albums" section under the Community tab on this forum that show the McRabbet and other bin sensors.

Nothing technical here, but I have one of Rob's McRabbet Bin Sensors and it works great. His build quality is top notch and especially if your cyclone is in an enclosure or otherwise out of sight it is well worth your money. I've found that especially when I am using my planer, chips build up quickly in the dust bin and the bin sensor has saved me from messy overflows on many occasions now.

So far, it has triggered the audible & strobe alarms (which go off before automatic shut down) and I have manually shut down the system and I don't recall having had to use the auto-stop aspect of the bin sensor system.

There are threads discussing bin sensors on this forum and also quite a few photos of different installations both on the main CV gallery and also in the "Pictures and Albums" section under the Community tab on this forum that show the McRabbet and other bin sensors.

I bought an early version of the sensor after I had a couple of overflows and agree it works great. What I also love about it is the bin is always filled to the top when when it alarms. Before the sensor many times I would just empty a half full bin so this saves a lot of time.

Mike

Back