Impeller Installation

JacobMac

Hi, I bought a clearvue 1800 in September and am just now installing it. I am on step 10, installing the impeller to the motor housing and I made an error. The instructions say to lift the impeller so that the taperlock is flush with the tip of the shaft. Here is where I scrwscr up. When I put in the key into the motor,I didn't have the impeller flush with the shaft. I just let the taperlock rest at the lowest it would go. And now it is stuck, I can't raise the impeller at all. I haven't put in the three bolts, or tightened the set screw, it only has the key.

I tried removing the key, but no luck. Any thoughts on how to get the impeller to move so I can get it flush? Thanks

Jacob, you will have to pull the taperlock up and out of the impeller while keeping the impeller still. If you pull on the impeller, this will simply tighten the taperlock onto the motor shaft. If I were in your position, this is what I would try out (very gently and cautiously):
  1. The screws you (that you say you've not yet put in) would normally be put through the non-threaded holes of the taperlock so they will draw the impeller onto the taperlock.
  2. The taperlock also has threaded holes. You MAY be able to put the screws into these threaded holes to give yourself a handle by which to grab onto the taperlock itself.
  3. Then try gently pulling against these screws to pull the taperlock off the shaft.
  4. You may need to add some leverage (like a pulley puller) to lift on these screws.
  5. Don't force anything!
The key itself should not be an obstacle to pulling the taperlock out as long as the set screw is not tightened.

If you've not already seen this installation video, the segment on inserting the taperlock may give you some encouragement. You will be able to see the non-threaded and threaded holes in the taperlock that I'm referring to:
https://youtu.be/XdoHR4HxRpw?t=279

Last edited:
Just so you both know, the threaded holes allow the cap screws to push the taper lock sections apart so it can be removed. That is why they are there.

Back