Installing Clearvue Blast Gates

csbarone

I am installing 6" Clearvue Blast Gates using 6" PVC SWD pipe. The fit is not very snug/tight. Should I use sheet metal screws and/or silicone caulk inside the fitting to secure the gates? Thanks! chuck

Yes - I'm using 5/8 inch in length #8 self tapping sheet metal screws to connect all fittings to the SDR 35 pipe. One screw per fitting locks the pipe/blast gate/fitting in place. I'm not doing silicone caulk. If I suspect air leakage is a problem, I'll use the aluminum duct tape. It is easier to apply and to remove than silicone caulk.

Since you are using D2729 pipe you may be able to get away with a shorter screw, but remember the first 3/16 of the screw is the self tapping auger, so that part of the screw doesn't hold anything. IT takes a lot of "spinning" to get the screw to go thru the thicker part of the fitting and into the SDR 35 pipe. I hope with the D2729 it is faster and more like a zip screw than hard rock drilling. LOL

Blast Gates

Blast Gates

Thanks! Although I wrote silicone I meant the FlexPlus Acrylic used to seal joints in DC. It is easy to remove but probably use screws as you recommend as well. Again thanks. Chuck

Back