Installing the Impeller questions

kinghong1970

Hello,

i must have assembled and removed the impeller about 4 times so far... and still not sure if i've done them correctly.

i've placed the impeller along the shaft of the motor,
placed and aligned the taper lock on top of the impeller,
aligned to make sure the machine screws are inserted on the non-threaded holes of the taper lock and screwed onto the threaded holes on the impeller
inserted the key
and tightened the screws progressively and the impeller is lifting up against the taper lock.

now my question is...

1) does the impeller rest against the taper lock or is it ok to have a gap between the taper lock and the impeller?

2) how far from the edge/tip of the motor shaft should the taperlock be located?

can CV folks provide clearer images of the taper lock install process?

thanks in advance,

Al

Albert,

I assume that you have the assembly manual for your CV1800. If not, go to the ClearVue Cyclones website and download it here. There are very good pictures on pages 11 and 12 of the manual that show how to install the taper lock. Per your description, you are inserting the cap screws into the correct non-threaded holes and engaging them into the threaded holes in the half that is attached to the impeller. It is very important to leave about an 1/8" gap between the back of the impeller and blower housing bolts and insert the key fully into the keyway at least so it does not extend above the end of the shaft. Next, tighten the setscrew in the side of the outer taper lock against the key to secure it in place. Next, as you have done already, tighten the caps screws one at a time, working around the taper lock. Retighten in the same order until you reach 5 foot-pounds of torque (if you do not have a torque wrench, 5 ft-pounds is equivalent to a five pound weight hung from the end of a 1 foot long wrench -- be careful not to overtighten!). You can probably borrow a torque werench from an auto supply store, but you will need an Allen socket of the correct size.

As you've seen, there will be a gap between the outer and inner sections of the taperlock, which is okay (the taper is holding the outer section to the impeller and the cap screws are pulling the halves together -- there must be a gap for the lock to work properly). There is no set distance for the protruding shaft length, the key distance is that the impeller is 1/2" clear of any bolt heads on the back side of the impeller.

As you'll read in the Maska appendix, the threaded holes in the outer half of the taper lock are used to push the taper lock off the lower half when removing the impeller.

Hope this helps.

PS. Let me know if you need help when you install your bin sensor...

Last edited:
Rob,

thank you very much for the reply... it was very helpful.
seems i've done it correctly... but i was just unsure about the gap between the 2 parts of the taperlock.

something of this weight/mass spinning on a 5hp motor... i wanted to be sure.

:D

still have not gotten to the bin sensor yet... seems the bin i ordered from mcmaster is a bit tall and so i'm trying to find alternate solutions.

i have a different question that i guess i need to ask on the correct section of the forum.

thanks again

Al

Back