Internal Body Cleanse

dustnemesis

Hi all!
I have recently installed my CV1800 and am very happy with it’s performance.

As one of my initial tests, i threw a couple of bucketfulls of concrete dust into the intake.

While it did seperate the dust and drop most of it into the bin, it left the inside of my cyclone body very opaque looking and I have lost that lovey transparent appearance.

Will sucking up wood shavings ‘clean’ it up a little? Perhaps there is a better medium to do this?

Also curious as to what would happen if I was to suck up a little water ‘mist’…

Does anyone have any proven methods for cleaning the inside of the body?

I recently cleaned my 6" cyclone using a clean rag on a small stiff rod from the bottom. That should be fairly easy for you to do and it should get the fine dust off. I would not use water as it may make the dust stick. Good luck.
Bababrown

Thanks bababrown. That is certainly a nice & logical idea.

However in my install I actually have a 500mm length of straight steel duct caulked and braced directly to the bottom of my funnel before it goes down into the flex hose & bin. My total drop height below funnel is almost 1 metre.

This makes getting a long stick back up inside pretty difficult, especially tilting the stick to match the angled walls of the funnel…

I might try modifying your idea and attaching a rag wrapped around a larger foam chunk.

Concrete dust is pretty abrasive. The inside of the cyclone may be scratched now (as if someone rubbed it with sandpaper), and thus the "frosted" appearance,

If moisture gets to the concrete dust before you remove it, you may compromise the efficiency of the cyclone. I would removed the pipe extension you have added and get the dust out as Bababrown has suggested. Caulk is cheap; the cyclone is not.

I've had my Clear Vue for about 12 years. About 6 years ago while contemplating purchasing replacement filters, I called Mr. Wynn of Wynn Environmental, maker of the filters used in the CV, to ask him how to clean the filters. He gave me an idea I've used over the years. It requires two leaf blowers. I stick one leaf blower in the end of the filter and turn it on. Then I used the other leaf blower to blow the dust from the outside in (very important according to Mr. Wynn). As the dust is forced back inside the filter, the other leaf blower carries it away. My collector uses two stacked filters, I just leave them attached to each other for the cleaning operation. I also use my hand to tap the filters as I clean, this also removes considerable dust. Warning: this process generates an EXTREME amount of dust out the end of the filter. Be sure it's cleaned outside on a windy day, and be sure the wind is blowing in a favorable direction.

Mr. Wynn explained that the filters could be damaged by air pressure from a compressor hose, especially if the nozzle is placed too close to the filter while cleaning it. The pressure is far less from a leaf blower and non-damaging to the filters.

Last edited:
Back