is carcenogenic PVC safe to use a dust pipe?

r j cedar

I just read pvc - polyvinyl chloride - is a known carcenogen. So how risky is it to use as dust collection pipe?

I understand wood dust can erode metal as it travels through pipe, thats why commercial pipe is so thick. So what happens when PVC, which is softer, gets erroded away too...do the pvc particles vaporize and pass to circulated air or are the particles solid and the filter takes them out?

A quick look on the web .... 2 paragraphs from this website
http://archive.greenpeace.org/toxics/pvcdatabase/bad.html
say:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]From its manufacture to its disposal, PVC emits toxic compounds. During the manufacture of the building block ingredients of PVC (such as vinyl chloride monomer) dioxin and other persistent pollutants are emitted into the air, water and land, which present both acute and chronic health hazards. During use, PVC products can leach toxic additives, for example flooring can release softeners called phthalates. When PVC reaches the end of its useful life, it can be either landfilled, where it leaches toxic additives or incinerated, again emitting dioxin and heavy metals.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) is unique in its high chlorine and additives content, which makes it an environmental poison throughout its life cycle. Vinyl chloride is a known human carcinogen. PVC releases dioxin and other persistent organic pollutants during its manufacture and disposal and cannot be readily recycled due to it chlorine and additive content. Furthermore, additives are not bound to the plastic and leach out.

This does not sound good. Comments?

[/FONT]

RJ,

PVC in the form of molded pipe and fittings designed for sewer systems is completely safe for use as dust collection duct. The primary hazards associated with PVC come during its manufacture through exposure to some of the chemicals used to form the end products, or from very fine dust created if the material is ground with an abrasive, neither of which occur in our use. During typical use as a wood chip and sawdust carrying conduit, there is essentially no abrasion that would lead to exposure or wear inside the pipe. Off-gassing is extremely low at room temperatures so the threat from that source to shop users is nil. PVC is used widely for piping of many types of materials and it lasts a long time. I'll be willing to wager that your home has PVC drains that safely convey waste water from your sinks, toilets, washing machine and dishwasher. Many homes use CPVC for potable water, which is made in a similar fashion and is completely safe for that use.

Yes, PVC contains carcinogenic materials, but they are bound up in the solid plastic pipe and are not released in our use in dust collection. I have used 4" and 6" sewer & drain PVC for many years without concern. Although I am now retired, I spent 31 years with the EPA in research, including more than 5 years with EPA's Health Effects Resarch Lab and I know that PVC was never a specific product of concern. Hope this helps allay your apparent fears.

Back