Is there any reason to not use 10/3 for wiring a CV1800?

Nate_P

As the title says. My thinking is that if I am running a new circuit to the dust collector it makes sense to use 10-3 instead of 10-2 so I can use the neutral to get 110v to activate the relay instead of running another wire to the box. The 110v would not be used for anything other than dust collector motor control so any potential overloads is not a concern.

My concern is that the draw of the motor could cause some interference issues on the 110v line, which could cause start stop issues.

I've attached a very crude drawing showing my thoughts for the wiring. Its the same as what many stoves use to run the 220v heaters and a 110v control panel. Th e difference is in the startup surge current created by such a large motor.

New Doc 2018-10-27 10.38.56.jpg

Last edited:
Nate_P,

Your scheme should work if there are no sensitive electronics on the 120 VAC side of the circuit -- i.e., in the motor control block. Back when I made the Bin Sensor for ClearVue Cyclones (they continue to use the same design to my knowledge), the small regulated power supply to the bin sensor electronics would not tolerate voltage excursions when a motor started with a heavy amperage demand like the 5 HP Leeson motor on the cyclone. Even with 10 gauge wire, there will be some voltage drop on that 3rd leg and you may experience failures (I observed power supply failures and internal bin sensor circuit electronics failures due to such load induced surges). As such, I would recommend against using 10/3 and to use a different source of 120 VAC on a separate dedicated home run circuit to your panel than the 240 VAC breaker supplying the cyclone motor. Hope this helps.

Back