It begins ...

John Samuel

Installed a CV1800 last weekend. It is the Australian model, so it runs off 240V with a VSD driving the 3kW (5HP) three phase motor. I am not using filters and the plan was always to vent to the outside.

When I turned it on with the VSD set to 60Hz, the noise was terrible; about 97dB; but there was no ducting on either the intake or exhaust sides.

I just fitted a length of 200mm insulated HVAC ducting to the exhaust, and dropped it out of a high window.

The sound reduction is good. Here are the results before and after the exhaust duct was fitted.

At 50 Hz ... without duct ... 86dB ... with duct ... 70-76dB.
At 60 Hz ... without duct ... 97 dB ...with duct ... 72-78dB.

The range for the "with duct" reading is because it is clear some of the noise is directional. Moving laterally creates this range of values at a constant distance to the blower of 3M. As we might expect, the louder readings are towards the back of the "L" shaped shop which is closed off and smaller; the lower readings occur when I stand towards the bigger, more open area of the shop between the cyclone and the garage door. My principal work area is near that door, so the fan can blow over me and out through the big opening.

In any event, I now have the noise down to 72-78dB running at 60Hz. Given that a reduction of 10dB about halves the noise this is a great start! At 60 Hz I now have about one quarter of the noise that used to be present before the exhaust duct was fitted. At 50Hz it has halved. Clearly the frequency/harmonic/power/pressure produced by the higher speed is different to that produced at lower speeds, and the HVAC duct does a better job of suppressing the noise frequency/harmonic/power/pressure produced at the higher speed. With the duct on, the two noise levels are quite close.

Put my ear to the wall. Sure enough, a very low rumbling is now detected. However, when I step inside the house to the ensuite (house and shop are the same brick veneer building) and close the hollow core door the noise drops to 45dB 1.5M behind that door. The next room is our bedroom, and the noise there drops to 40dB with the door open and to 25dB with it closed.

The very good news is that the neighbours should not be bothered by this at all. Standing beside the fence near the neighbour's house produces about 40db. At the back of the house where the exhaust duct exits the reading is less than 40dB. It varies a bit depending on where I stand, but stays under 40dB. It looks like I'll not need a baffle. Bill Pentz did say that most of the noise came from the exhaust and that he had been told by an associate that 8-10 feet of insulated HVAC duct would make a big difference ... and it did. So much so that I am considering wrapping some more insulation around the 1M or so of the existing duct that is inside the shop. The duct only has a fairly thin layer of polyester (I think R1). Might also put a wrap around the blower before I enclose it.

... continued ...

... continued ...

I was so impressed with the sound reduction the HVAC insulated vent provided, I decided to do it again.

About 1.5M of the vent is inside the shop (see pic). Bought 3M of 300MM HVAC insulated duct, and pulled the smaller duct through it so the 3M of the bigger duct is concertinaed to 1.5M. Took the sound readings, and they fell again. Here are the results so far, all at 60 Hz:

Nothing on at all ... 5dB ... its a quiet shed.
Turn on the VSD (it hums) ... 10 dB
Turn on the Clear Vue:
Naked ... no ductwork in and no exhaust ... 97 dB (ouch).
200mm HVAC duct to exhaust (about ten feet long) ... 78dB
Add 300mm duct to the 1.5 M inside shop ... 66 dB.
Wrap three layers of thin polyester insulation (off-cuts) around blower ... 62dB

When Bill said that the bulk of the noise comes from the exhaust and the blower he got it right. So too did the guy who recommended HVAC duct to the exhaust.

Right now I have mentally parked up the notion of building an enclosure. I will do a proper job of insulating the blower, hook up the ductwork and take matters from there. But if I can keep it below 65dB in my main work area, I cannot see the purpose of building a cupboard.

The total cost of the HVAC duct was $40.89 including GST. $16.50 for 3M of the 200mm duct and $24.39 for 3M of the 300mm duct. Much cheaper than an enclosure; and I have a huge bag of polyester insulation off-cuts that the duct making guy gives away to get rid of it.

Attachments

• IMAG0015.jpg
    IMAG0015.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 2
Finished ...

Finished ...

The ductwork is finished, except for some blast gates which hopefully are on their way.

I used some mastic-like pliable material to hold some insulation around the blower (see pic). Machine ports for over half the machines are upgraded to 6" from 4", and everything works.

Noise levels remains below 65dB anywhere 10' or more from the cyclone. I am a very happy chappie.

Attachments

• IMAG0018.jpg
    IMAG0018.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG0022.jpg
    IMAG0022.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Good morning

Good morning

Good morning John, I would like to do on my CV blower housing what you did on yours.
What did you use and how did you do it?
Thank you very much.
Bertrand

Bertrand,

I got a product called Sureform, a self adhesive roof flashing material. Here is a link to the product, to help you find a similar product in your country. http://www.cagroup.com.au/Sureform1.asp

I also got some polyester fibre insulation material ... the local air-conditioning guys give off-cuts away free.

The polyester fibre is held in place around the blower by the Sureform, which I stapled into place, as you can see in the pics posted earlier.

Most of the noise comes from the exhaust, but the Sureform and the insulation dropped noise by about 5 dB.

Back