Leeson motor quit

alberrt

My motor quit yesterday. I have read in these forums that there is a thermo overload on the Leeson motor. My question is where is the reset? I have the 5hp motor on an older 1800 cyclone. The Leeson website cautions against getting a motor with an automatic reset (when the motor cools) and I can't find a reset. I am afraid I burned the motor up.

Thanks.

Should be a red button somewhere on the motor; on the top I believe? Unless it is a 3-phase motor then there is no reset switch as I was just informed by my electrician friend yesterday.

Bummer if you did smoke it as you got to practically take the whole unit apart hey!

Thanks

Thanks

Crafted - Thanks for the reply. The motor is in a very cramped location next to the ceiling in my garage. I will feel around on top for a button, but I don't think there is one. Guess that means I burned it up. Disappointing; it is only 4 or 5 years old.

The manual reset is located on the electrical junction box directly opposite where the wiring connector enters. In other words, you need to reach in along the main hanger plate and you will find the rubber covered reset button on the lower side of the junction box. Be certain that the motor is not turned on when you depress the reset. If you look at the second picture on page 8 in the 2009 Installation Manual, you can see the grey button on the junction box. If you look carefully at the picture of the motor in the center photo on page 14, you can see the button protrudung down from the junction box on the left side of the motor just to the right of the vibration dampening bolt.

Hope this helps and let's all keep our fingers crossed!

Also it is very hard to reset.....you may have to take a stick and a block and use those to reset it.

Found it!

Found it!

Thanks for all the replys. McRabbit, I had been feeling the button but until I looked at the pictures you mentioned I wasn't sure it was the right thing. I had expected it to be a button that had extended or something but it was just level like it was a grommet covering a hole. As Matt says it was very hard to push. I turned off the power and removed the electrical box from the side of the motor and was able to get the button in a position to push it in. Everything works fine now.

Thanks again for the help.:D

alberrt,
The motor must have gotten too hot. The heat will tend to rise up and stagnate near the ceiling. I would put a fan on it especially in this hot weather. A portable fan aimed at it would work.
bababrown

Also If you have a air return near the floor you could build a baffle from there close to the ceiling to 'draw' the hot air from the ceiling.

Not sure who may read this old thread, but I searched the same issue and started reading the thread, and i thought as I read the problem, this is exactly the problem I am having now. When I read that the motor was hard to get to as it was next to the ceiling I thought, wow just like mine. Then I finally read the person who posted the problem and it was ME! Ten years ago. I went for a period without being on the forums and then tried to change my password, but the system would not let me because the name was already used. I had a different email address back then, so I had to sign up with my current email and a new name. Now I know where to find the reset again and see that is very hard to push; it still is, will try again tomorrow.

Back