Let me know if I'll have any problems

Sean_2280

What I'm wanting to do is try to save headroom and be able to place my lights where they fit best. My idea is to pipe my DC runs into my attic. Basically 6" pipe (5 drops total) coming from out of the ceiling down to the machines. All the main trunk lines would be ran throughout the attic with a drop to the DC. Does anyone see anything wrong with this idea?

Also what is the current standing on SDR-35? I have read conflicting articles with some stating that ClearVue doesn't recommend 35.

Sean_2280,

I am unaware of any disparaging reports concerning SDR-35, although I am not sure that I am all that plugged in. SDR-35, being PVC, suffers from the same problems as any grade of PVC intended for wood dust collection; static electricity, static discharges, and fire (PVC dust collection pipe is probably not allowed for commercial shops based on fire codes but I am really not sure). For whatever it may be worth, I elected to install 6” SDR-35 pipe for my home garage workshop system, making some effort to mitigate static discharges with HVAC metal foil tape. I chose SDR-35 because it was a relatively inexpensive, piping and fittings were locally available, and with a heat gun the PVC could be formed to create various specialized fittings. I have seen no problems with my 9 month old installation.

An email or telephone call to Clear Vue technical support would answer any questions concerning their position regarding SDR-35 piping. I corresponded with Clear Vue technical support several times during the installation of my system and found them more than willing and quite able to answer the questions I had.

I can think of several issues associated with running dust collection pipe in an attic space. None of these issues, in my opinion, would preclude running the piping in the attic. I mention them for whatever value they may have.

The first is the potential for condensation inside the pipe. Warm moist air in the winter drawn out of the shop into the attic could result in condensation inside the pipe. Several years ago I installed a central vacuum system for the wife. I did the work myself and was cautioned by the vendor to ensure the piping for the central vac system was insulated in the attic. Condensation could cause household dust to clump and form blockages and disrupt clean air flow. I would think this problem could also plague wood shop dust collection. If the shop is air conditioned, summertime cool air in the pipe could cause condensation on the outside of the pipe that could damage insulation and drywall. Luckily this problem can be addressed by wrapping the pipe with HVAC installation.

The second issue would be attic obstructions. I briefly considered running my dust collection pipe in the attic to avoid the same issue you mention; working around shop lights. However I dismissed it because framing in my attic is with trusses and several drops would land near perimeter walls where low attic head room exists. Since I wanted runs as straight as possible and did not want to fight existing insulation, I elected to replace my florescent shop light with LED recessed lights. Since I had already planned the location of the dust collection runs, I was able locate the lights out of the way.

The last issue is adding to or changing the dust collection piping. It may never arise, but if it does, it would require returning to the attic. I really hate doing attic work, but then my attic is pretty difficult to navigate.

Sean,

SDR-35 (ASTM-3034) is a heavier weight sewer and drain pipe when compared to ASTM D-2729 thin wall sewer and drain. Both have the identical outer diameter and will conform to a common set of fittings like slip couplings, 45's, and wyes that you can find at many big box stores in their drainage plumbing aisles. Most the the fittings are marked with SDR-35 at ASTM-2729 compatible codes. The 6" main pipe, with bell ends, is best found at major plumbing supply houses or irrigation or landscape firms. The key difference are wall thickness and color; D-2729 is white and thinner wall, while SDR-35 is light green and heavier walled (plus about twice the cost). Both have bell ends, while SDR-35 is also available in a gasketed version which you should avoid (unnecessary and more costly). My personal choice is the white D-2729 which I have used with my duct runs that I bought nearly 10 years ago for about $15 per 10 foot length. One last point: avoid use of tight 90 elbows (I use 2 45's and a short length of straight pipe or a short straight run and 45 elbow down from a ceiling mounted wye) and flexible duct except at the machine port to blast gate segment.

As for attic, go for it.

Sean -

I concur with running the piping in the attic. I'm not convinced that condensation in the PVC is a real issue, as I've had three or four homes in as many states with central vac systems with piping in the attic and no installer raised that issue. If that is a real concern, then do what most of have down with our compressed air supply lines: run the line at a slight angle so that any condensation will flow in one direction to a drop down.

As for elbows, there are long sweep 90 degree elbows available online. They come in 3 or four designs - the pipe diameter times a unit: 2x the pipe diameter, 3x the pipe diameter, 4x the pipe diameter. The sweep is measured from hub to hub. I have used these long sweep elbows when a 45 degree short pipe 45 degree angle connection will just not fit in the space available. I found mine at McMaster Carr.

I used the SDR 35 in my shop set up as it was the most readily available in my area. Lots of rural farm supple places have the 2729 thin wall but it came in 20 foot lengths and they don't deliver. By the time I cut up the lengths and rented a truck to get the pipe home, I figured it was faster and a better use of my time to get Lowe's to deliver the pipe to my basement door.

Anyone have a national source for 2729? Went to my local menards and they wanted $16.99 for a 10ft length. That's awesome, but there is a catch. Minimum order of 2,600 ft. That's 26 pieces @$17 bucks a piece... $442.00 and easily 2,500 more feet than i need.

Back