Made my own 90 degree filter transition

ryanjg117

I purchased a CV1800 secondhand and the first owner used a straight filter transition, but he wasn't exhausting to the outside. Rather, he then connected a run of 8" insulated HVAC ducting to a sarcophagus that contained the Wynn filter stack, attempting to keep the noise down to no avail. I decided to keep the filter stack on casters (no reason, really), but needed to make my own 90 degree filter transition. I know Clearvue sells this for a reasonable price, but I wanted to test out my new Shaper Origin and I was in a bit of a hurry to get this install completed. I designed the transition with some additional drop-length, since I'm mounting my cyclone about a foot higher than the standard 8' installation. In theory, it should just about perfectly mate up with the top of the filter stack, or be a bit short, in which case I can just slip a plywood sheet under it. Here's the model:

View attachment awzwH87Yg81JkWyVY-zLwcUo6_w4jvIN2RtzKq0OTbz5ZsdzC3FU44mcELnQToCvPZRMh9o4mOVIK4WXZiZSCBxMOFR-RVwdPXXa

View attachment C4r9REISRvKjwHiJ53CCaZRgHYzmflA-uNpxYMOryHeRnffsvWOV_PP3_1SaaNWsFEealWvvJ0WB2_iRj2nIW6YUnKBWtIKt-KCl
Standard three-piece design, made of 3/4" MDF with channels to accommodate two acrylic sheets which I just picked up from my local hardware store. The bends are a little tight, but I intend to hit the acrylic with a heatgun to make it a little more flexible as I insert them in during final assembly. Of course, all joints will need to be silicon caulked as a final step.

I'll post pics when it's all wrapped up.

Back