Make up air?

seajai

I've built my own closed stand router table and I'm also looking to modify my table saw's DC setup, and I was wondering if there is a formula somewhere for calculating the size of the make-up air opening I need to allow the DC to work properly.

Something I never really thought about other than knowing that sealing off the TS holes to the point of restricting flow to the overarm guard, clearance around the throat plate.
Having a 6" port at the bottom of the saw does nothing if the inflow is minimal.
We know by now that having a whack of vacuum concentrated at a few points does not support the removal of fine dust.
Don

Make up air

Make up air

Seajai,
I do not know of any formula to size the opening(s). It would seem that you should have at least as much cross section as the duct feeding it, and probably more to keep the head loss low. On the other hand you don't want the openings so big that the air velocity coming in is lower than any air currents pushing out. For example, the router motor will throw dust outward and you want the make up air to overcome those air currents. I know that leaves a lot of room between the numbers! Also because head loss decreases with the square of velocity you shouldn't need much more cross section than that of the duct coming in. Maybe 1.5 times or so. It's a good question and worth more thought.
bababrown

Back