Max distance for filter

Flintshooter

Is there a do not exceed distance from the cyclone outlet to the filter? I’m planing on building a lean-to onto the side of the shop to house the cyclone itself, the location being dictated by the lay of the land allowing for maximum height in relation to the ceiling in the shop (wanting to use a 55 gallon dust bin) and as a result the distance to have the filter in the shop is already going to be maybe five feet longer than normally shown in the installations I’ve looked at online. But I’d like to have the filter in a corner as well and with the layout of the shop that would require something in the neighborhood of twenty feet.

Curly1

Ducting has drag whether you are sucking or blowing through them. I believe adding a long duct and possible elbows will increase the back pressure on the impeller which would reduce the suction to some degree. If you increase the area of the duct cross section to the filters by 2 or 3 times you will reduce the back pressure. It would mean the velocity of the airflow through it would be slowed and might not carry the heavier dust and it would fall out of suspension but the cyclone should be separating that. It would be fine dust and not build up very much. You might have to open the ends of the duct and blow the dust out occasionally/annually/seasonally from the shop side. The only way to know for sure would be to try it and monitor. One thing you could do, since you are making special ducting, is put a diverter on the duct after the cyclone and vent the air outside the lean-to when the weather and neighbour proximity permits it. That would also reduce the amount of fine dust going to the filters each year. Adding more filters would also decrease the back pressure. Perhaps a call to CV and/or Wynn would give you a better answer than my uneducated guess.

Pete