Metal or PVC Duct

freewheller

I have done a lot to reduce noise. DC in closet with rock wool and vent outside. But haven't seen anything on noise difference between metal and PVC. I would like to use 7" metal to machines as I have read that the bigger duct is better for airflow. Also any concerned about static buildup.

Any experience or data on noise difference of metal vs PVC? What about wrapping metal with some thin insulation?

I think 7" ducts are the way to go. It probably is the only way to get 1000 CFM at most of our machines with the CV-1800. I don't have any experience with metal duct, mine is 6" PVC. My CV-1800 is outside so the collector noise inside is air noise. I can tell you that the air noise overwhelmingly is from the hoods. Some hoods are significantly worse than others. It seems to be the rougher hoods that are noisy. Also, the air noise is enough to be irritating because I leave the CV-1800 running for long periods of time.
bababrown

Thanks. I have a CV -1800 as well. The concern with metal ducts is transfer from the DC through the duct and the rattling around of wood chips. It is surprising how loud the dryer is with stuff clanging around in it.

Many include a short section of flex at the CV-1800 inlet to stop the transfer of sound to the ducts. I definitely hear chunks of wood going down the pipe but fortunately that's a very quick trip for most of them!
bababrown

Back