Mini CV06 with cone

This looks neat. I've been quite happy with my "short" CV06 bought a couple years ago, but would be interested in any improvements!

Does the cone make a substantial improvement to the separation of fine dust?

Can owners of the "short" CV06 order a retrofit kit to add just the cone to an existing short CV06 body and bucket?

A scaled version of the Bill Pentz cyclone design, the Mini CV06 is a great addition to any workshop. Used in conjunction with your shop vac, it is ideal for hand tool work stations and general dust clean-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I received, installed, and used my CVo6. It replaced an imported and smaller cyclone dust separator that has fed my Fein Turbo1 shop vac for a couple of years. The imported cyclone separated about 80% of the shavings, chips, sawdust, and sanding dust that I generated in my home woodshop. Though satisfied with the separation, I was concerned that it also limited the airflow. Ergo the move to the CVo6. It was a VERY good move; based on the crap swirling in the CVo6's cyclone today, I expect the separation to be as good or better than before. And the air flow, at the end of 15' of 2" hose, is greatly increased. I'm pleased.

I have had my CV06 for around a year now. It is attached to a large Rigid shopvac.

The shopvac canister is still empty, and the filter looks clean. I have run everything from sander dust to pellet smoker ash through it. Today, I had it on the drill press, and I noticed suction was lacking. Sure enough, I had picked up two big pieces of scrap that were blocking the clone at the top. Cleared them - back to normal.

Was a good purchase. I can't compare to the DD or the like, but I bought a $20 Chinee knockoff once on eBay that went into the trash, as the pressure drop was horrific.

I have both the original CV06 and one of the new versions -- both are very efficient. I use the new one with my mitersaw (connected to the outlet on the guard) with collection through the CV06 by a 16-gallon ShopVac equipped with a drywall filter bag. Like ddowel, I find very little dust collected in the ShopVac and nearly all of the residue in the 5-gallong bucket below the CV06. I have a 2-1/2" diameter extension hose that I move to my stationary Belt/Disk sander outlet when I use those tools. An excellent product.

I should add (for any prospective buyers), I do NOT recommend the Lowe's blue bucket as a collector. The lid is very "flexi". After barely a year, I noticed my suction "sucked". When I investigated, the lid was disintegrating inside the lip, and I had serious air leaks. I actually had to clean out the filter as a result, which made me sad.

Dust had built up in the dead space between the cover of my cyclone lid and the top of the air ramp. I believe this does not impact performance but it looks unsightly. I removed the dust by drilling a 1/8" hole through the cover just above the lowest point of the air ramp. I then ran the vac occasionally covering the input with my hand and sometimes poking the dust with a metal hanger. It took about 15 minutes. This scheme should work for the larger cyclones. I closed the hole with a screw.

Back