Minimum Enclosure size

gstuartw

I've seen a number of designs and dimensions for enclosures or closets to reduce the noise of the 1800. I'd like to know just what is best size enclosure to allow ease of servicing and emptying the Clear Vue? Iv'e got a 20 x 30 shop so I'm not worried about losing too much space. I'll be venting outside most of the time but using the filters during extreme heat and cold. Some who have given dimensions express some regret at one dimension or another limiting access. Anyone willing to offer what they have found to be a good size?

Last edited:
I'm surprised there have been no responses…over 60 views and no one has any advice? Hmmm. Was is something I said? ;)

Sorry, I was a "viewer" but I didn't respond because I don't feel qualified to do so - my installation is still under way.

With that being said, I have a large pile of homosote ready to go as soon as the plumbing is done.

I put my CV into a closet with a 25" by 41" inside dimension with 10' ceilings. My workshop is 13'x23' so space is at a premium. I spent a while planning it and don't think I could have squeezed another inch from the footprint.

The best advise I can give is to install the system first and build the enclosure afterwards. You may be lifting portions several times and you don't want to have to do it inside a tiny closet.

Have an easy to access panel for the drum. The other walls should be removable, but they will be accessed much less often so they don't need to be as convenient as the drum access panel. As a reference, I have emptied my 55 gallon drum about 10 times. I probably open the access panel 2-3 times checking the drum before it is full enough to empty (I could use a bin sensor). In all that time, I have removed the other access panels one time to clean the filter. There was only about 1/16" of dust at the cleanout so it may be a very long time before I ever open the other panels.

Steve

Last edited:
The inside finished dimensions of my cyclone closet are 34" deep x 93" wide and 10'4" tall. I really wish I had about two more inches of depth, but I was constrained by existing windows when I built the closet. I wanted to leave room for window trim after the walls were built. As it turns out, it is a bit tricky to remove the dust bin for emptying. I need to lift it up about six inches to clear the filter cleanout box shelf. I left off the door trim on the cyclone side of the closet door because with trim on it would be almost impossible to remove the dust bin.

Overall, the closet works quite well and really cuts down on noise. I packed the walls with mineral wool insulation. With extensive use, the closet does get rather warm though and I wonder if some type of ventilation might be needed in order to keep the motor cool.

The attached photos show the window that limited how deep I could build the closet and also the tight fit for the dust bin.

Note that I had to mount the impeller housing on the closet end wall with the inlet coming through the same wall. I also needed to rotate the outlet about 7 degrees in order to keep the filter assembly away from the back wall of the closet.

Attachments

• Cyclone Closet Depth.jpg
    Cyclone Closet Depth.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 3
  • Cyclone Closet view.jpg
    Cyclone Closet view.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Dust Bin clearance is minimal.jpg
    Dust Bin clearance is minimal.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 3
The inside finished dimensions of my cyclone closet are 34" deep x 93" wide and 10'4" tall.

My current plans are to build a free standing closet to reduce the vibration and noise transmitted by mounting the Clear Vue on the workshop wall or ceiling. My shop is 20 x 30 so I have a bit more real estate to work with but I too have a limitation on depth due to a doorway. If I frame the walls of the enclosure with 2x4 studs I can have a maximum depth of 28". The interior width of the enclosure is planned at 89".

I'm now trying to figurer out the flow of air and reducing noise related to that aspect. Most of the time I'll be venting directly outside, using the filters only when the weather is extremely hot or cold. I'm going to build plenum that allows me to divert the exhaust air either into the filters or through flex duct outside. For makeup air I'll need the choice of either outside air or air from within the enclosure. In either case I plan on placing a vent opening in the ceiling of the cabinet and running a duct through the attic to one or more vent openings in the ceiling of the shop. This will bring air from the closet up to the ceiling and past the motor before it leaves the enclosure. While using the filters it is the air that is exiting the filters that will do the cooling.

In the situation where air is vented directory outside I will need makeup air. I will have a vent through the closet wall to the outside to pull air into the enclosure. That air will then travel past the motor and out of the enclosure through the ceiling vent and into the shop.

The cad below shows this planned layout. The vents shown are representational and not accurate as far as diameter or final placement. To reduce noise I'll place the two ceiling vents much farther apart.

http://smu.gs/MG3MMn

venting a closet

venting a closet

I'm in the process of planning an enclosure as well (I will be getting the CV1800 soon). I will not be venting to the outside but will be using the filters - what should I plan as far as venting the closet (6'x4')?

Also, since the primary purpose of the enclosure is sound reduction, how might a vent in the closet impact that? I'm aware of sound flanking.

Your plan for a 6' x 4' footprint for the closet should be adequate. Obviously, you will want a door for access to the bin and filter clean out. I would recommend that you line the inside with a sound-deadening insulation (many folks favor the material called Roxul) and a good method for handling return air is to build a vertical plenum made by using one of the 14-1/2" x 3-1/2" cavities in the stud wall (assuming 2x4 studs on 16" centers) that is covered with a solid sheet of plywood from the floor to about 6-8" from the top on the interior and then add a standard return air grille near the bottom of that cavity in the outside wall at the bottom. Then finish the insulation around the remaining interior walls of the closet. The plenum will capture air from the filters that must rise past the motor (providing some cooling) to the plenum entrance; then down the plenum cavity to return through the grille into your shop. The inside of the plenum should be left smooth -- the length and turns should provide adequate muffling of the sound, which comes for the most part from the blower.

I'd suggest a grille on the exterior wall of the closet like this one. Add weatherstripping on your door to keep it tight.

Hope this helps.

Back