Modular Dust Collection

BobLand

There are at least 2 setups where the various parts of the cyclone are joined but not directly attached as per original instructions.

The noise from my CV1400 is very loud and because it is attached to a wall, the house vibrates. I'm going to do a major upgrade to my shop so I decided to reduct the entire system.

Good time to attack the noise problem. My ceiling is 82" so I'm forced to use a 10 gal can. Actually, the 10 gal is OK for the kind of work I do but I was thinking of how much modularity can I get away with.

I don't have a clear design in my head but what I'd like to know is does it matter how far the impeller/motor is from the return air filters and cyclone body? Are there any "gotcha's" I should be aware of? Does the orientation of the impeller/motor matter, i.e., upside down, sideways, etc? Do I loose any cfm?

Thanks,
Burt

Burt, There are a variety of schemes that others have used, but you should definitely isolate the cyclone mounting bracket from the wall. I would recommend getting some pieces of good quality carpet padding (try a local carpet place for scraps) and sandwich a few layers between the mounting bracket and a second sheet of plywood mounted on your wall. You may prefer to use Vibration dampening mounts (use that term in a search and see pages 1347-1351 in the M-C online catalog).

Some folks have also made mufflers for the output side of the blower; I'm still getting my CV1800 installed (a long story) and plan to use 8" insulated HVAC duct to know down the noise. Check the Photo Gallery for examples of noise control.

Split Systems

Split Systems

Burt,

In addition to what Rob said, but more towards the ducting lengths side:

Perhaps the most eye popping design in the galleries is John Randle's

Another, one that positions the filters at some distance from the blower is Ted Drain's where the filters are across a two car garage from the blower.

As neither seems to have any complaints with their systems, I can only conclude distances of those orders is perfectly fine. (However, just because there have been no complaints doesn't necessarily mean there are no defective parachutes.)

In theory, additional ducting equals additional flow and pressure losses. And there probably is a difference between the pressure and suction sides. But that said, I believe you stated in another thread you can leave two or more of your blast gates open with satisfactory performance. So, and again within reason, I don't think you'd have a noticeable performance reduction from moving the various subassemblies away from each other.

Regards,
DWD

Back