More than 2 filters?

Manitario

I have a new shop with an 11ft ceiling. I'm considering adding a 3rd filter to the filter stack; has anyone ever done this? Would the increased airflow from more filter area result in better DC performance?

Manitario,

I don't think there would be much, if any, advantage to adding a third filter. Where you will get improved performance is in extending the cyclone output from the 6" long flex that is provided with your system to a longer piece, perhaps 2' going to the dust bin. I also highly recommend installing one of McRabbet's bin sensors. See the thread Dust in Filters for some more information.

My ceiling is 10' 4" and it seems that I get much better dust collection than most who use the standard 6" long transition to the dust bin that is provided with your CV.

that's interesting that you have better performance with a longer cyclone to bin hose...I've read some of the debates here on "optimum" hose length and the only consensus seems to be that it should be longer than 6". It would be a lot easier for me just to run a length of hose to the dust bin rather than try and build a step up to bring the bin closer to the cyclone....

Of course it will help. The greater the surface area of the discharge filter, the lower the back pressure. Lower back pressure should increase the cyclonic velocity which should increase overall separation.
Better separation mean less crap going through to the filters.
Bil Pentz says at least 1 square foot of filter area for every 4 CFM of dirty air. Having more filter area reduces the chance that filter area would limit the overall capacity of the cyclone.

Don

that you have better performance with a longer cyclone to bin hose...I've read some of the debates here on "optimum" hose length and the only consensus seems to be that it should be longer than 6". It would be a lot easier for me just to run a length of hose to the dust bin rather than try and build a step up to bring the bin closer to the cyclone....

Back