Motor heat

Flintshooter

I hadn’t given a lot of though to the cyclone motor overheating until reading a few threads on the subject.
My cyclone is going to be housed in an attached fully enclosed lean-to. The lean-to will be insulated to allow a small amount of heating in the winter. For the summer months the only ventilation I’d planned was the return air duct to the shop for when the filter is in use. As much as possible I will be venting to the outside. Should I add a fan or a window that can be opened to the design? I don’t think the inside summer temps would reach attic levels, but they might get warmer than the shop.

If the filters are not sealed off in the lean-to from the motor the air circulating in there on its way back into the shop should be sufficient. You could always have the return air duct by the motor so the air has to flow past it.

Pete

Aside from the suggestion by Pete to have return air pass by the motor, the best strategy is to avoid too many start/stop actions while you are in your shop. These motors are designed for continuous operation and do not draw high amperage as long as there is good air flow through the cyclone. If you condition the air in your shop, I'd recommend bringing filtered air back into the shop to lower the heat load that will occur if you exhaust to outside. Configure your return air so that filtered air runs past the motor helping cool it..

Back