Motor Rotation Direction

Paul Stoops

Hi folks,

I am trying to help a fellow woodworker get his CV installation going via forum advice. I used to have a ClearVue cyclone in my old shop about 5 years ago and loved it (except for the noise!)
Is it possible to wire the motor in such a way that it would rotate backwards? This guy is not getting the airflow he should be getting and we are trying to troubleshoot for him. I haven't asked him this question yet, because I didn't want to cloud the issue.

I just looked at the wiring instructions and it looks like it would be possible to wire it up so that it rotates backwards.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Paul Stoops

Paul,

Yes indeed, the Leeson motor can be improperly wired to rotate in the wrong direction. The first thing to check is visually through the sides of the blower at startup to ascertain if the impeller is moving correctly -- it is a backward vaned impeller and they should be rotating Clockwise (I believe the Leeson factory default is CCW). If you haven't done so already, download the Assembly Instructions from the ClearVue Cyclones website and check page 23 for the correct wiring. There is also a diagram on the inside cover of the Motor Junction Box cover.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 100_6945.jpg
    100_6945.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 4
Thanks, McRabbet. l discovered the installation instructions after I had put the post together -- they have been updated since I put the CV in my old shop a number of years ago.
I don't think the motor wiring is this guy's problem, but it is a possibility, particularly since he bought it used at a very good price which made me wonder if they guy could have sold it because he couldn't figure out why it didn't work as advertised. Not likely, but stranger things have happened............. :)
Thanks for your response -- it just confirms my thought that it could be possible.

Have a great day!

Paul Stoops

P.S. I have a bin sensor system similar to the one you are marketing using the garage door opener sensors and the custom circuit board. Works great, but fortunately I haven't had to use it yet! I enjoy following you guys on the NC Woodworker site. I might consider applying to join, but my Washingtonian accent would give me away!

Paul --

Happy to help. I'd suggest you also check for any leaks in the bin or connection to it -- lots of users forget that the handles on galvanized ash cans (most common bin used) are not air tight and they also may not caulk the inlet collar on the top. Personally, I suggest using an MDF or plywood bin lid with a routed groove and good weatherstripping to insure a tight fitting bin cover. That all assumes he's using a metal can.

If the performance issue persists, give us more details and the group here will try to assist...

BTW -- if by "Washingtonian" you mean Northern Virginia, then you qualify to join the NCWW forum. If "left" coast, them just continue to browse and enjoy!

Back