motor started by itself!!!

ducky911

Hi,

I had just removed the cone as I wanted to change the angle of the output to the input when the motor started. My head was 18" from the spinning impeller and I was up on the ladder. I was able to reach the elec box and unplug it.

So the remote was no where near.

Has anyone ever had their DC turn itself on?

I will have to flip the breaker each time I leave the shop.

Last edited:

McRabbet

Senior Forum Member
Let's assume it wasn't a phantom! But all kidding aside, there are two possible causes. The first (and least likely, I believe) is that your adjustment of the position of the blower body caused some wiring to move to close the power circuit. The second and therefore more likely because it has happened to me (with another dust collector remote) was when I discovered that my garage door opener had the identical code as the remote I was using to the DC. Maybe your wife came home then (or perhaps one of your adjacent neighbors) and opened their garage door. I'd suggest that you first test the hand-held transmitter with your garage door opener to see if it (or your neighbor) has the same code. If that is the source of the problem, change the code settings on the remote unit and the transmitter and test it again.

One key lesson here -- ALWAYS disconnect the power to your cyclone when doing any work on it!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

ducky911

It is very possible that the cyclone bumped the wire boxes as it is all in a closet. But how would any kind of bump turn it on. This bump idea is the most likely as it was that very moment that it happened. There is no garage door within 100ft.

Thanks for your help.

and YES it was dumb of me not to unplug.

edit...just went back out in the shop to see if there was a secret button. After looking I went back to the circuit box and when I flipped the breaker it started. So since I didn't use the breaker to turn it off, I think I have had another false start.

I will change the program and see.

Bob

Last edited:

bassplugger

i ran the hot wire to thru the light switch and when the lights are turned off there is no way power can get to the cyclone. Only when lights are on, could that happen, and so far it has only came on when it was supposed too

ducky911

update

The second false start did not happen I remember now I pulled the plug than the breaker than latter in the day turned the breaker back on.

I going to run the 110 on the lights just so I do not have to worry about it when I am out of town.

tamathumper

Eaton Non-Fusible Link

Eaton Non-Fusible Link

Do you not have a non-fusible link installed next to the motor? I installed one per the instructions and pull it whenever I'm near the motor/impeller.

047569517693lg.jpg

haurykjo

Mine started accidentally too

Mine started accidentally too

So yesterday I finally finished wiring up my CV1800, and it started/shut off fine with the included remote.

However, as I was cleaning up the shop, I went to screw in a few cable clamps to hold the power cord and the flex conduit securely to the wall, and much to my surprise, the cyclone started! I almost fell off the ladder in my haste to grab the remote.

Turns out, I am able to turn the cyclone on with my cordless drill! I guess I'll have to change the frequency of the remote. Lucky they included instructions to do this. Right now I have the breaker off. I hope nothing else turns on the cyclone while I'm out. I guess I could just keep turning the breaker off when I leave the shop, but it's kind of a bother.

-John

ducky911

I think that my was turning on with the backdoor neighbor's garage door opener. It is over 100 ft away, funny I sometimes have to hit my remote several times to get it on(?). I changed the program and will wait and see.

I also added a switch (20amp) at the door that shuts off the 110 plug run that the cyclone uses. So as I enter the shop I flip it on when I flip the lights on. I was going to wire the 110 cyclone off the light switch but was warned that the florecent light might not be a good mix.

I can't be worring about it starting while I am on a two week vacation.

Bob