Mounting between Joists, populated with other systems.

majosha

I have a new CV1800. It is intended for a basement shop, where the joists are 93 inches off the floor. I'd like to squeeze the motor between the joists to get an extra few inches of height. However, the ideal void has a 4" PVC duct for a radon system hugging one side and the electric for the AC unit on the other.

After playing with my tape measure it appears that I can weasel it in there with about 1 inch of clearance from either of these. Even so, I'm thinking this might not be smart with the heat of the system. Moving the electric is no problem, but I'd really rather not reroute the Radon duct if i don't have to.

Thoughts? Are there effective ways of insulating this duct from heat at such close range?

Majosha,
Because there is some airflow in the pvc duct and the wall is a poor conductor i think you need not worry about the radon system. I would be more concerned about cooling the motor. I have 97" clearance which gets me by so you can get by with another 4" . That would leave some room above your motor for airflow. I think at worst you might need to force some airflow between the joists. How you do that depends on your install plans. Will you put it in a closet?
Bababrown

Majosha,

I agree with bababrown, but if you could move it to the adjacent joist opening, you would have better clearances and potentially better air circulation around the motor. It does get warm and needs some air to avoid overheating. One strategy that many users follow is to surround the unit in a closet and allow air exiting the filters to circulate up to the top of the closet interior and then exit high through the inside closet wall into a plenum made in the closet wall between studs and let the air exit low into the shop space through a louver that fits between the studs (envision the plenum like a periscope that carries air). The 14-1/2" x 3-1/2" stud cavity make a good air return and will help reduce the sound level as well. Plus the motor will get a constant supply of air to keep it cool.

I'm just an amateur but I think you are dancing with the devil with your plan. Jamming the motor into such a tight space is just asking for trouble. Murphy's law is such that at some point in the future that electric line or the 4 inch PVC exhaust line will need some work. Given some motor failures and the need to replace start capacitors, why make your access so limited?

Secondly, your air flow for motor cooling will be terrible. The floor joists and the floor above will create a dead air space. As has been mentioned in the other responses, using the air from the filters to drive hot air out of the area of the motor is necessary in a confined space.

So lower the motor mount and give yourself not just clear access to the entire motor, but allow air to circulate freely around the motor.

Back