Muffler Ideas

Slick

Another pre-setup question. I'm a stickler for keeping noise down if possible....my output will vent back into my bay where I may be tuning car audio systems while my cyclone is running so any db's I can save will be good....to save height I will probably have my filters side by side....figure a muffler before the filters for sure,I see most of these are pretty short, any idea how long this can be before it causes performanc issues? i noticed the grizzly ones look really short and the one I saw on the gallery modeled after the one on Bill's site is maybe a foot? Take it to the extreme...what if it's 2 feet long? I guess I'm just not sure how much the exhaust side that I'm planning here effects performance on the intake side?
Also, I'm figuring on the filters in a box to filter from outside in.....I haven't seen anyone muffle inside that box? Anything wrong with lining the box with egg crate foam, only thing I can think of is it will probably add some resistance to the air flow, any major issue with this? Was thinking of lining the duct going from the filters to the shop as well....am I going to far? Just that it doesn't seem like to much effort, if it will knock down any sound it's worth it to me.

Thanks for any input!

I've heard that the mufflers people have installed work pretty well to reduce noise. For maximum noise reduction, most people concerned about the noise have put the cyclone either outside, put it in a closet type enclosure, or just built an enclosure around the cyclone and insulated the enclosure. I think there are several examples of this kind of thing in the gallery, and you might do a search in the discussions here for previous discussions on the topic which might yield useful information.

Matt, unless you are a multiperson shop, I'm not sure why you would have the cyclone on during a time you won't be creating dust. I would think when tuning a system, you'd want it as quiet as possible. My CV is not as loud as my table saw, but then I exhaust outside, and it sounds like a small turbine engine out there. Of course that's with no filters or muffler to help absorb any of the noise. Enclosing the the cyclone and filters in a closet that is sound proofed as much as possible, and making a baffeled return of the air from the closet back to the shop would all help. I don't think I'd put the eggcrate material in the filter box if you are going to filter from the outside in. It would collect a lot of the fine dust. On second thought, maybe that would help with the sound deadoning! :rolleyes: Just some thoughts from a former stereo installer. Jim.

Thanks guys...yeah the cyclone could be on while one of us works and someone else is in the bay tuning a bit. I figured the foam would gather some dust, but so does the foam around the mufflers right? I figured even if it does get dusty....the air still has to go through the filters before it gets out, I was just going for maxim sound absorbtion, so it doesn't sound like a small turbine engine in the bay :)

Back