muffler

woody12

i've had my clear Vue for 7 yrs or so, and am moving. want to put a length of insulated hvac for a muffler, but cant find how long it should be.

Last edited:
Woody12,

I don't have any experience with mufflers (as I recall, there are some pictures in the Photo Gallery on the CleavVue Cyclones website at http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones.com/main.php which you'll need to research), but in order to make a recommendation, you need to provide more details on your placement of a muffler. If it is between the blower outlet and the filter bank, then I would recommend you need to add some distance to allow for sound reduction. Since the exhaust air has little back pressure, I would think that 10" insulated HVAC flexible supply duct should provide some sound deadening. If you could put in a straight 10 foot length, I'm sure the sound level would drop significantly. Can you provide some more detail on your setup?

well, its in storage right now while we look for a house with a 3 car garage.it was in a sound proof room about 6' wide, and 3?' deep. all stud cavities filled w/3" rockwool. i used the origanal manufacturers chimney design to exhaust into the shop.( i tried exhausting outside, but it sucked all the air out of my airtight shop, i couldnt shut the shop door when cyclone running.) bill pentz has an article with pictures of his muffler, and at the end he says a friend used a length of hvac flex, but doesnt say how long it is. i'm thinking of removeing the 90 degree fitting out of the blower and using clearvues straight fitting there, then flex to the filters. i can make my sound proof room wider, and passing to the left of the filters, then down the side with a large radius bend, then into a tee with another bend. the t would be standing up, with the filters on top, and the cleanout box underneath. this would make the flex around 8' long i think.

Woody,

The other technique I have seen to reduce the noise is to use a plenum to return air to the shop space after the filters have done their work using the standard 90 degree transition to the filter stack. The plenum is formed using a stud cavity in the wall between the closet and shop that can be made deeper by adding a filler strip )or using 2 x 6 wall studs) and lining the inside with sound deadening Roxul or foam. The inlet to the plenum is at the top on the inside of the closet (allows air to circulate near the motor providing some cooling) and the exit is at the bottom of the plenum on the shop wall. You can cover the exhaust opening with a standard grill for HVAC return air and it should function well. Of course, you need to sound insulate the closet to reduce sound coming through the walls, too. Hope this helps.

Back