Need dust bin set up

David01

Hi,

I posted a few weeks ago about dust collecting in the clean out bin. You all were right-i fixed the vaccuum leak, and the whole thing works like a champ. First time in years.

Now, since I will empty dust from the proper place, the rig I have needs to be changed from the "Behren's trash can/flex-hose duct tape takes an hour to change" system.

Can someone please give me an idea of what I can do to simplify the process without using a lot of duct tape. I have already looked around the forum. The problem I gonna have is dis/connecting easily a rigid bin to the downspout of the cyclone :confused:

Thank You!
David

David,

Let me see if I understand your problem. If your problem is getting the bag to stay inflated in the bin and are resorting to duct tape, then I'd suggest that you insert one of these plastic leaf bag inserts inside your bag to hold it in place while the bin fills and then remove it after you've pulled the bin out and removed the lid (the insert can be cut down to fit a shorter height). Then just tie the bag and pull it out.

If your problem is the connection between the bottom of the cyclone and the lid, you need to use flexible duct of the right diameter and at least 8" long held in place with good duct clamps over the cyclone outlet and the corresponding sized Starter Collar (like one of these) found at your local home center. A starter collar needs to be carefully sealed into your bin lid (use pop rivets or sheet metal screws and plenty of silicone caulk). It may be easier if you have room for a low wheeled platform under the bin to raise the lid and pull the bin out. If you have a galvanized ash can for your bin with its metal top, I'd suggest replacing it with a flat lid that is held down with bungee cords or pull-down hasps like these. I've attached a picture of a flat bin lid as an example (underside has a circular groove made with a router and a neoprene gasket that seals the lid against the bin). This one also has a pair of sensors to detect when the bin fills (see bin level sensor on the ClearVue Cyclones website -- I make them).

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Griffith - New Sensors Small.jpg
    Griffith - New Sensors Small.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 0
My issue now is just one of convenience-Your setup is really nice.
1) I will allow more room b/t the cyclone outlet and the bin-8" is doable. That will enable easier access.
2) I would like to get something like the McMaster Carr fiber barrels mentioned here. Am not excited about any more modifications to the trash can.
3) The collar on Amazon is just what I need-prior searches were done for flanges.
4) I need to get a proper size flex hose for the cyclone outlet so a hose clamp will do it.
5) The plastic bag is out for now.

I welcome any further ideas. I am tired of fooling around with this.

Thank You,
David

Back