New install - not enough room for trash can

Gatesway

Guys, I've just hung my new CV1800 and the bottom of the cyclone is 28" off the ground...and the spec sheet at Clearvuecyclones.com shows it should be closer to 29 1/2. The trash can (without the lid) just barely goes under the cyclone. No way is there enough room for the 6" flex hose and the trash can lid.

Any thoughts? Oh yes, I've got 97 " of head room.

Thanks!

John Gates
Wasilla, AK

John,
97" is exactly what I have and the trash can fits acceptably. Measure how much space you have between the ceiling and the top of the motor. It should be no more than 1". I suspect you need to either raise the hanging bracket or tighten the bolts that hang the fan.
bababrown

Appreciate the help. Can you measure the distance you have between the floor and the bottom of the cyclone (without the flex hose)? Also, what is the height of your trash can? The distance between my trash can (30 gal metal) and the bottom of the cyclone is 3/4".

John

One possible solution (other than raising the cyclone) might be to make a flat cover from 3/4'' MDF and rout a groove to accept the can lip plus a gasket to fit it tightly to the can. Use a metal starter collar (available at your local HD or Lowe's) and you should gain a few inches. It is also easier to slide the can out from under your new top.

100_45321.JPG

100_45341.JPG

Last edited:
I use a 30 gal. trash can that I cut off the bottom, cut off a 5 in. section of the can, and then crimped it enough to fit back on the bottom. Put some pop rivets in it and used duct sealant in the seam. It might only be 25 gal. now but works good for me.

John,
I just went out and measured mine. I have 27" height for the standard Behrens can from HD or Lowes and 30" to the bottom of the cyclone. I too went with a plywood lid and a good starter ring (cut down in length) to keep the seal in place. I should mention that Ed built my cyclone. I suppose it is possible that the newer cyclones could be higher (?).
bababrown

You guys are too much! Thanks! Truly, I appreciate the help, insight and pictures - they were a big help. I'm doing the same thing as you did, McRabbit! That was great.

Again, thanks for the help!

Back