New mini-cyclone setup.....

Slick

This is an update to my earlier post about shrinking the size of my mini cyclone setup.... I love my mini-Clearvue cyclone but didn't like how I had it setup at all, I was in a rush to use it and did what most guys do....bolted it to the top of a 5 gallon bucket and attached it to the side of my shop vac....it function great...but tipped over ALOT and was way to big to move around (I use this for in car or in bay stuff like spot grinding or even just vaccuming cars and gets alot of drywall service so it needs to be portable) ...the hoses sticking out the sides and top were annoying also, just too big of a footprint and not stable at all, I had bricks in the empty shop vac bucket to keep it from tipping over if you looked at it wrong and still tipped over...did I mention I HATED that empty shop vac bucket...what a waste of space...with a mini hooked up you get nothing in that bucket....anyway there is picture of how it looked before below.
oldminisetup.jpg

First goal was to shrink that shop vac bucket but 99% of the vacs out there have the suction hose in the bucket....not so easy to get rid of the bucket with this setup...so I stumbled onto a Rigid at the Depot that was on sale which had the suction inlet and air outlet in the lid of the vacuum with the motor...sweet no more need for the bucket. Next up to find was a shorter container for the dust under the mini....with a 5 gallon and hose out the top it was easily at waist height if not more...found a cool square bucket at McMaster carr that is made to ship hazardous stuff so it seals up like crazy (has to be air tight) with a rubber gasket and lots of snaps...not as big, almost 4 gallons I think but that's plenty for me, this isn't on my router table or anything like that. Another picture below of the parts. The white filter on the left came with the rigid, the blue on the right is a hepa replacement filter that is suppose to go on a smaller rigid vac but I wanted it as short as possible, it saved me over 3" which you'll see below helped keep the footprint down, better filter but smaller and frankly not much gets filtered by it so I used it.
miniparts.jpg

Anothe picture show the setup before construction...filter hangs over the bucket which is low enough to go under it, the rigid doesn't need any real bucket around it, just enough area for air to flow from the suction port around the filter...what I built is bigger than it needs to be but it looked better than just a flat board and cylinder around the filter
filtersetup.jpg

Unfortunetly my camera batteries were dead during most of the construction but you can tell what went on, the half cylinder around the top of the rigid enclosing the filter is mdf front and back and bendable plywood around the curve, base is all primed and painted mdf, rubber casters and some snap locks I found on mcmaster to hold down the mini and bucket. The front hinged down to slide out the mini and bucket to empty. I hard piped from the rigid to the mini with 2" pvc, figured it would help with suction, looks better, kept height lower than it was with the hose , actually works well as a handle to roll it around and it looks better While I was at it I found a dead area under the filter box...the exhaust of the rigid was right there so I used pvc to duct the exhaust into it and made a muffler for it...basically a tube lined with eggcrate foam....made it a big quieter, not as much as I had hoped but it was an afterthought I'll have to take a picture from the back to see it, just noticed there isn't one.... finished picts below...to many pictures, have to add them in a reply I guess...

Overall the big thing is it much more stable, lower and easier to work with...still have to work on what to do with the hose though...this one might be a big long but I had to order 10ft of it from McMaster so I might cut it down...this is some kind of vacuum hose and way heavier than it needs to be but it had those screw on cuffs available which work great and is much more flexible than that crap shop vac hose, hate that stuff....overall I'm happy...but spent way to much time on it :) Everyone who sees it asks about it though, bit of a conversation piece....

Dang I can't get the pictures to show up...not allowed on this forum, just links?

Great job,very innovative Slick. I love the hard piping and the vertical filter housing. Would love to see a pic with the (red) dust bin removed. I am assumming it is lifted to fit the top of the dust bin by the side plates?
Mike

Great Innovation!

Great Innovation!

Very nice, Slick, and very innovative. Thus it would make a great addition to the photo gallery, hint, hint.

Regards,

DWD

Thanks guys. Mnoah,I'm not sure what you mean by "I am assumming it is lifted to fit the top of the dust bin by the side plates"..do you mean what is holding the dust bin? If so it's sitting on a 3/4" mdf base that the wheels are attached to, the front hinges down and the bin and mini slides out. If not let me know what else your looking for :) I'll get a picture of the bin out also.

That makes perfect sense Jason. I was just overthinking how the bin slid out from under the cyclone. Great job again.
Mike

I don't like it! Way to professional if you ask me..........hum....why didn't we think of that? :)

Great Job Jason,

Ed

Options, Options

Options, Options

Jason,

I got to thinking (dangerous I know) about your selection of the Ridgid because its inlet was integral to the motor assembly. Just looking at your photos, it would seem that if one wanted a different motor, from a vac that has its inlet in the barrel, one could still use your basic idea. But instead of going from the top of the Mini to the motor housing, one could punch a hole into a convenient location on your black, bendable plywood piece, then run the pipe to that spot.

Only reason I bring it up is one might be able to use a more quiet motor, ala the Fein. Though the Fein is expensive....... Still, there may be other alternatives that some might de-select just because their hose inlet is into the barrel.

Darn! I must might have to acquire another Mini and make one of these as well, and save the old 32 gal. conversion I did for the Shopsmith planer.

Regards,

DWD

Yeah you could do that no doubt. When I started trying to slim things down I didn't picture it the way it ended up...goal was to shrink that vac bucket as much as possible, I was going to make a plate to mount the vac lid (which I did) then use a pvc or similar tube to surround the filter, literally no more space than needed, almost like the pre-construction picture of the filter exposed...then I realized that wouldn't leave much room for air flow from the inlet port around the filter (if you picture the air flow it's from port around and through filter then into and out of motor) so I needed to at least make a channel or wedged shaped piece from the inlet to the pvc tube surround the filters....well that would look like crap :) then I realized in the orientation I had the vac/filter it the was the depth of the filter that saved me space (why I used the shorter filter) by using that half round to match the curve of the vac lid all I really lost was some dead space ontop of the filter which I kind of wanted to use for cord or hose storage but no big deal, this looks better :) so yeah, in the end you could easily so similar with another motor and come out the filter surrounding "box/tube/halfround" instead of the motor place...heck if your motor had a smaller mounting plate than the rigid you could shrink the size even more..think this was just over 18" diameter...I was going to take the rigid motor out of the orange plastic lid to shrink it but it had a jaged edge to it...the orange lid gave a nice smooth surface that with a foam gasket unit really sealed up. .....so yeah, chaulk it up to designing on the fly :)

Living with previous decisions

Living with previous decisions

I know from whence you speak, Jason. Putting together the CV1800, I've made some decisions, bought and made parts, then either run into another challenge or had another idea that would have been easier to implement had I not already been more or less locked and loaded, so to speak. Thus you saw the Ridgid, realized you could pipe from the top of the Mini to the Ridgid's lid mounted inlet, and decided to go that route. And after purchasing the machine, you're pretty much locked into that design.

For my own project, as an example, I mounted the motor & blower hoist / slide mechanism to span three ceiling rafters. Using two would have been insufficient to clear the motor, four seemed too long a span for the weight. Yet now that I'm looking at methodology to more easily install and remove the blower housing and cyclone body, I find this portion of the task might have been easier with the four rafter spacing. But then again, my original rationale for selecting the closer spacing remains, that the heavy motor & blower on a 48" span might have been a bit too much.

Large companies usually do prototypes and have experimental shops to help work out these things. Sometimes its easiest to just try it and fly it. We're essentially doing a one off job, with not unlimited budget.

If anyone is considering using a barrel mounted inlet, and you bring up a good point, there will have to be some sort of diverter at the inlet so the jet doesn't just blow a hole in the filter. Most barrel inlet shop vacs, at least the ones I've seen, have some sort of bend or splitter just inside the barrel to do the job. For example, the Fein barrel has an el that essentially points the incoming air downward into the barrel. Another method is akin to a old style V8 motor's air intake and filter, which usually had a small plate between the inlet and filter to divert the airflow.

Which also begs the question, could one make this sort of arrangement work with some sort of blower and automotive style air filter, either the old "doughnut" shape or the newer, K&N style conical? Think I'd have to research particle size specs for them first, though. If they're only good for, oh, 50 micron or so, then that idea won't float.

Regards,

DWD

Crap...I feel like a rookie...in my rush to finally finish this thing and get back to other projects I trusted the "sealed" red box from Mcmaster carr....it did have that snazzy rubber seal in the lid....apparently that's not "sealed" enough for a cyclone :) I cleaned up some stuff around the shop then cleaned my car quickly with it and thought the suction was a bit low....then I sucked up a sharpie marker on accident and had to get into the box to get it out....but the box was near empty...that's not good...yeah my filter was full of dust...stupid stupid....worst part was I cleaned my car...and I have alot of dogs, golden retriever and lab hair all over the place :) Lesson learned and new seal applied to red box.....boy it is fun rolling this thing around compared to my old Leaning Tower of Cylone though......

Last edited:
Jason,
Matt and I have been talking about making these and selling them. We really like your implementation. I noticed that you have the exhaust running back under and into the box below. Does that help reduce the noise? Is the unit any quieter than when it was in it's standard configuration? How do you remove the box around the filter to clean it? We have been talking about making the entire thing out of clear plastic. Again, you would be able to see it working....or not working as the case may be.

Ed

Jason,
I posted your pictures in our photo gallery. I hope you don't mind. If you do, let me know and I'll remove them but I really think your setup is neat.

Ed

Ed,
Yes I tried a muffler...found a dead area under the half cylinder filter surround and pvc ducted the exhaust at a 90 degree angle into a square tube and lined it with egg crate foam...it is a bit quieter, not as much as I had hoped but it was a last minute thing....I'd baffle it a bit more to do it again....I also like that the exhaust now points out the back parallel with the ground instead of straight down at the ground...to much dust to fly around with exhaust pointing straight down.
To clean the filter surrounding box/hald cylinder out you take the rigid off....only two bolts (one at 3 oclock one at 9 oclock on a round flat area of the rigid and a t-nut in the mounting baffle) and I made the baffle to still accept the rigid's mounting tabs at 12 and 6 oclock...they are kind of a snap lock thing...that's all the stock rigid used to hold it to the bucket. Just cleaned mine out after the sealing the red box issue...takes about a minute to take it off if that.

Back