New shop install problem

I would like to install my pentz cyclone under a stair landing at my new home. It does not have the headroom my other shop had. I have two ideas.....one to remove a portion of the cyclone body 6" just above the cone and also the inner intake that goes back to the fan. I can't imagine this is a good idea but I'm putting it out there.
or,
2nd, to remove the motor, install a keyed motor shaft, pulley and pillow bearing on the motor mount plate and mount the motor on the wall beside it.Install a matching pulley on the motor and link belt connection to the pulley on the cylone.
or,
I remember something about a pull through design ?? that had the motor separate from the cylone. Would this wrok, any pics out there??

Any other ideas appreciated. Not ready to give up my nice DC yet...

New shop install problem

Paul,
I would not modify the cyclone as separation would be affected and probably badly. The vortex finder tube length is critical. Secondly, you won't gain a lot by separating the motor / impeller because you will need a 90 degree ell at the top that will eat up much of the gain. Matt Morgano says that the cyclone will work horizontally though no one recommends going that far. I would look at mounting it at or near the angle of the staircase to see if that gives you enough headroom. Otherwise I would look for other places to install it. If you go thru the photo gallery you will see that just about everything imaginable has been tried. Also, if you post some pictures or drawings of your shop here you will get suggestions. Good luck,
bababrown

Thanks, I'll look at the gallery more. Horizontally ?!!?? really ??? I'm trying to wrap my head around that idea. Seriously, has anyone tried this on a practical level, that could actually work in my situation.
I know I can give up the trash can for a recycle bin but emptying it would be awkward and dusty.

New shop install problem

Paul,
I'm not surprised someone might think I'm kidding! I believe Matt and Ed ran one horizontally to prove it works. If you notice, the chute comes in at an angle and the air ramp inside continues that vertical angle, such that the air and dust are driven downwards smoothly. It doesn't depend on gravity. But in practical use gravity is needed to pull some bigger pieces down. I've had acorns in both my CV-1800 and the small 6" cyclone and they will run around and around the cyclone until I block the airflow. It must be the air coming back up thru the center that provides some lift. There is a slant install in the photo gallery. I believe a 45 degree (or so) install will work.
bababrown

Angled Cyclone, Custom Bin

Angled Cyclone, Custom Bin

Paul, Richard,

The angled cyclone is: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones.com/v/CV1800+and+CVMax/David-L/

Also, though somewhat costly a solution, depending on the dimensions of any leftover space, you might consider a custom made bin, as the finished bin doesn't necessarily have to be round or roughly the same diameter as the cyclone body. Can be square or rectangular, and short. So you can make your bin as wide as your stairwell would allow.

There would be some practical minimal height dimension, but if you have room for a recycling bin, or say 18", that should do. There is some inherent swirl at the in the bin, the tufts I added seem to show its nearly all horizontal. Which should, at least in theory, help push debris to the far reaches of whatever bin you come up with.

For my own, I used a clear plastic hurricane panel. Somewhat pricy, especially if you need to have it shipped, but it seems to work well for this application, light and stiff, plus clear enough so one can see how full its getting. Holler if you want more details, or go have a look at my gallery posting.

The only other caveat is that you'll have to watch your bin closely, at least at first, as you don't want to have anything sucked up through the impeller and into the filters as others report cleaning them is a chore. I haven't yet had that "pleasure".

Regards,
DWD

Paul, Richard,

The angled cyclone is: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones.com/v/CV1800+and+CVMax/David-L/

Also, though somewhat costly a solution, depending on the dimensions of any leftover space, you might consider a custom made bin, as the finished bin doesn't necessarily have to be round or roughly the same diameter as the cyclone body. Can be square or rectangular, and short. So you can make your bin as wide as your stairwell would allow.

There would be some practical minimal height dimension, but if you have room for a recycling bin, or say 18", that should do. There is some inherent swirl at the in the bin, the tufts I added seem to show its nearly all horizontal. Which should, at least in theory, help push debris to the far reaches of whatever bin you come up with.

For my own, I used a clear plastic hurricane panel. Somewhat pricy, especially if you need to have it shipped, but it seems to work well for this application, light and stiff, plus clear enough so one can see how full its getting. Holler if you want more details, or go have a look at my gallery posting.

The only other caveat is that you'll have to watch your bin closely, at least at first, as you don't want to have anything sucked up through the impeller and into the filters as others report cleaning them is a chore. I haven't yet had that "pleasure".

Regards,
DWD

Thanks for the info...I'm leaning towards a clear topped bin enclosure into which I can slide in a large recycle bin. I can a see a line up of bins developing in my shop until recycle day. I don't think an angled cyclone is in my future. Just to much for me to wrap my head around.

Fwiw I have had the pleasure of a plugged filter....you don't ever want to go down that road.

Paul

Back