New Shop - Need Advice

jobewan

Hi,

I just moved from California to Delaware. Part of my property in Delaware is a 30 foot by 30 foot pole barn that I am outfitting as my WW shop. I am psyched - considering I had my shop in a low ceiling 2 car garage in CA. My ceilings are now all above 11' and peak at 18; . I have a pretty typical shop setup - Sawstop with two 4" dust ports, a Dewalt 735 planer, a Jet 6" long bed jointer, a Bosch Miter Saw station, a Laguna 14" Band Saw with two 4" ports, and a Supermax 25/50 sander.. I'd also like a drop at my assembly table for small tool sanding, a Jet OSS, and other tools.

I have been away from the dust collection world for twenty plus years and I am not well versed in what the best way to go are. When I last was paying attention, the use of PVC was verbotten, all duct was metal, with spiral duct ruling the duct class war. That seems to have changed considerably. Sparking and grounding the system was a large issue back then - I don't see much evidence of that being a big deal, but I may not be looking in the right places.

Let me know what the best way to proceed would be as far as getting recommended vendors and systems. I need all the equipment, from DC to duct work, blast gates and how much flex duct is OK?

Thanks All - I hope to hear from you and be part of the group ! Appreciate any help that may come!

Joe

Hmmm. Some shop size envy on my part. Being that you are in a ClearVue forum that is what most will recommend here. ;) For the size of shop it would be needed anyway.

Ducting will be in part what you can locally get and your personal preferences. The stamped, welded, clamp together metal ducts like Norfab are king of the hill if budget doesn't come into play. The spiral is readily available in most areas and PVC is rising in costs making it more expensive than spiral. PVC makes for more static shocks but in a home system can't generate a hot enough spark to cause an explosion and we can't make enough dust with the machines we would likely work with to create a high enough concentration of dust to get the right conditions for it to happen. You also can't ground PVC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA22kTtV4XI The two reasons to try would be to avoid those shocks as they can hurt and startle you during dangerous activities like sawing. The second is the static discharge can damage electronics like the computers running CNC machines. Dust system fires are caused by two things. One is sucking up metal that causes a spark and the second is hot embers from dull blades or wood rubbing the blade. Wood closing on the blade while sawing for example. With flex ducting you want to keep the lengths as short as you can as they have roughly three times the drag that a smooth duct does.

I suggest you read Bill Pentz's site, it is a long hard slog but the info is important. http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.php It'll take a number of evenings a couple hours at a time to get through it all. Once you get it many of the questions you have will be answered and any others you have we can answer.

Pete

Hey Pete - reading that site now. Much appreciated. I have a one time shot to put some bucks into this system, so0 I think I will go with Nordfab, Thanks for your help.

Joe

Back