Noise not that bad

KelbyVP

I finally got my Clear Vue CV1800 with 16" impeller up and running. Based on all the forum chatter about noise, I was expecting this thing to scream. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the noise is really not a big deal. It's loud, but not more so than other dust collectors.

I did not build any kind of soundproofed room or install a muffler. My cyclone sits proudly on fully display on one wall of my shop. It is quieter than most of my power tools. Compared to my two prior dust collectors:
1) It is slightly louder than the 2HP Laguna cyclone that the Clear Vue replaced. However, the resonant frequency of the Clear Vue is lower and not nearly as bothersome as the Laguna.
2) It is much quieter than the 1.5HP Jet bagger that was my first dust collector and that screamed at an unpleasant pitch. The Jet was by far the most unpleasant of the three noise-wise.

I have not measured the dBs, but I'm a little perplexed at why people are going to the effort and expense to build separate rooms, etc. We should be wearing hearing protection when we run power tools anyway (I always do), and since it's quieter than most of the tools themselves, I'm scratching my head. So, to future prospective owners of Clear Vue products, don't let all the chatter about the noise scare you off. And don't let anyone trick you into building a separate room or spend lots of time figuring out muffler options without first getting it up and running and seeing whether the noise is really that big of a deal.

Every owner has a different set of goals and opportunities in regard to how they run their shop. Since my workshop is in my basement and I live in a gated community with highly restrictive covenants, I have every incentive to keep my noise levels as low as possible. I do not want to disturb or inconvenience anyone in the house nor my neighbors. Your circumstances may be different than mine. I agree that PPE - hearing protection is a key issue when running your machines.

Now one major reason I like to have my DC run as quietly as possible is that I like to listen to the machine I'm running (with proper hearing protection). Any unusual sound is feedback that something is about to go terribly wrong or perhaps my blade isn't as sharp as it should be. Secondly, I leave my DC running when I'm working any dust generating equipment. I avoid turning the DC off and on with each operation. As other have posted, powering on and off can damage the motor if done more than 3-5 times an hour.

I would poll your family and neighbors about their feelings when they hear the DC running. Sometimes the lower register noise of the DC can be more irritating than the intermittent whine of a table saw or jointer or planner.

Kelby, I agree with you though Mark makes a fair point about listening to machine your running. Nevertheless, I've just bought the CV1800/16" to replace a 5 HP Oneida I've had for about 11 years. I am expecting it to be louder, and I don't worry about it. As you said, when things are running, hearing protection is required (at least in my shop). Since my shop is a free standing building, I don't have others to worry about, which might change the perspective. But at least in my case, I don't see a closet or enclosure of any kind being used for the DC. Now the air compressor, that's a different story.

Back