Noise reduction

sevansx

I just completed installation of my cyclone and it is noisy. I've seem some guys build enclosures around their systems to reduce noise. Have you found the effort to be worth it?

That depends, Sevansx. If you don't mind wearing ear protection -all- the time, -consistantly-, then it may not be worth it to you.

If the sound proofing is done correctly with the right materials, it will be very effective and worth the effort.

There are numerous studies about the risk of hearing loss when working around loud noise over time. You'll have to weigh these risks yourself and decide.

Noise reduction

Do you have any suggestions on material. I have seen mention of some type of material, but cannot remember the name.

If you have the bucks, Homesote is supposed to be a very good sound deadoning wall board material. There may be some new ones out now that work as well or better, haven't looked into it in some years. Jim.

There are two ways to approach this. Absorbing noise, or blocking it. I'll focus my comment on blocking, since just absorbing noise with wall panels and the like won't cut down the overal perceived sound level as much as just reduce reflections.

Blocking noise generally requires heavy, high mass materials (drywall, mass loaded vinyl sheeting, lead, concrete), specially damped wall panels (QuietRock), and/or isolation (decoupled walls, spring mounted ceiling tiles, RC clips, etc).

Single stud walls with double layer drywall works very well. Decoupled walls (staggered or double studs) with double layers of drywall does a better job. Use a visco-elastic glue (which acts as a dampening agent: GreenGlue or QuietGlue) between the 2 drywall layers and it'll work even better. Add MLV inside the wall, and you'll probably get a marginal increase in sound blockage, but may not be worth the extra cost. Place some acoustic absorbant foam on the noisy side of the barrier, and maybe it'll improve a bit more. Adding Homasote to the noisy side should also help.

A lot of this can be acheived with standard building materials, which should keep the cost down, but increase the overall size/weight/labor of the project.

If money isn't an object, then there are some easy to install but expensive materials:

Quietrock = ~$50 on up per 4x8 sheet (http://www.quietsolution.com/html/quietrock.html)

Less expensive:

GreenGlue = ~$17 per 30oz tube for 1 4x8 panel (http://www.greengluecompany.com/)
AND
Drywall = ~$9.50 per 4x8 sheet 1/2 inch (X2)
OR
Drywall AND
Homasote = ~$19 per 4x8 sheet 1/2 inch (probably not as efficient as QuietRock)

I hope this helps,
Steve

QuietRock?

QuietRock?

Would soundproofing the cyclone and blower cage, leaving the motor exposed for cooling, work when lowering the sound level?
Thanks
TomL

I don't think leaving the motor in or out of the sound proofing area will make any overall difference in sound. It could make a difference in heat if there isn't enough ventilation. I have my motor enclosed in the same area, but haven't had it running longer then ~20 minutes at a time. So I haven't had any issues with it.

See Nako's photos in the gallery. His motor is outside the enclosure, and I think he has satisfactory noise reduction results.

Duct Board

Duct Board

I believe that duct board might be a really good answer to sound control. This link is for a picture and description only. You should be able to find it and any HVAC supply house. http://owenscorning.com/comminsul/products.asp?product=271&system=81. There are several other brands that all seem to be similar.

About a year ago I got a call from a customer who had a question. The conversation moved to the noise level and he turned his unit on for me and described his enclosure. Then he said he had a removable panel that he would put back on and call me back and let me listen to it again. He told me that he had built his enclosure out of MDF and lined the inside with duct board. Anyway, he called me back in a couple of minutes and told me to listen. I heard the click of the relay........... and then silence. I asked him when he was going to turn it on.........of course he said it was running. There was no sound that I could hear over the phone. He promised he would send pictures, but he never did so I sort of forgot about it. I haven't done this myself, but another customer just called tonight and he said they use the "duct board" for enclosing air compressors, diesel generators etc and it's very effective. He told me that a 4 x 10 sheet is around 30.00.

Ed

Last edited:
New guy with ideas.

New guy with ideas.

Feel free to respond, I welcome it, may save me some bucks. I found some info on the net some time ago about soundproofing a shop vac. I built an enclosure for a 5 hp Sears vac with a Universal motor out of 3/4 MDF and lined it with a short nap carpet. It quieted the monster so much that you could stand beside it and carry on a normal conversation. I'm at the turn on stage without piping (hung on the wall and wired) and after reading all the stuff on the forum and Bill's web site I'm having second thoughts. I am thinking about converting to a free standing rubber dampened unit before I enclose the unit along with my air compressor. I planned to do up the inside same as the shop vac w/ six inch thick walls w/ glass batts. I live in east Texas near Tyler, does anyone know a source this area of S&D pipe? Regards to all.

Which one is closer to you...Longview or Kilgore? I got mine from these folks: http://www.morscom.com/index_locations.html
Decent price and they carry it in stock here in Ft. Worth. About 20.00 per 10 foot section IIRC. They did sell me the last 3 sections at 11.00 each, but others I've recommended to go there could not get that price. Even with my receipt #. Be sure to ask for 6" gravity fed thin wall sewer pipe. They had no idea what ATSM 2729 was (even though it is stamped that way on the side of the pipe :confused: ) But they promise me they do not carry fittings for this pipe. I even went by asking if they had fittings for the green SDR 35, thinking they might not know the same fittings work, and they said they do not carry it. Some Lowes have a good selection of fittings... 22.5 and 45 els, and 6-6-6 and 6-6-4 wyes, and couplers. If you can find one that is clearing them out, you can get the fittings for a song. I saw some for a buck a piece! McMaster Carr had the best normal prices I could find, but only carry the 45 els and 6-6-6 wyes.
Hope this helps! Jim.

BIG OOPS!!! I didn't scroll down the list of East Texas stores. How about this?

Tyler
MAP
arrow-1.gif
Scott Hilburn
Branch Manager
1001 West Elm Street
Tyler, TX 75702-7008

Jim.

Back