Noise

Ron Bouchard

I have just completed or almost completed my installation of the clearview system.

It really does work great.

Have used the SD pipe for the installation. Its not easy to put that stuff together but i figured out ways.

My concern is noise, the unit is noisy. I would like to hear about all the ways that folks have reduced the noise on there units.

Also were is the noise mostly coming from on the unit, so if you were to insulate or box a portion of it, which area would be the most effective to isolated or box. I would prefer not to wall it off in my garage.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Originally posted by Ron Bouchard@Jan 6 2006, 07:18 PM
I have just completed or almost completed my installation of the clearview system.

Have used the SD pipe for the installation. Its not easy to put that stuff together but i figured out ways.

My concern is noise, the unit is noisy. I would like to hear about all the ways that folks have reduced the noise on there units.

Also were is the noise mostly coming from on the unit, so if you were to insulate or box a portion of it, which area would be the most effective to isolated or box. I would prefer not to wall it off in my garage.

I made a muffler based on the one found on the Bill Pentz site. It's one foot long and the shell is two pieces of six inch metal duct work locked together to make a twelve inch dia. tube. It fits perfectly to the MDF transition piece of the Clear-Vue outlet. Make the guts per the Bill Pentz site and the hardware cloth inner liner transitions from square to round per the info on the Bill Pentz site. The outlet end of the muffler is MDF with a round hole that matches the hole in the filters. A few hose clamps and sheet metal screws and its done. I run the filters with the square ends together in the middle. Most of the noise comes from the outlet of the fan section of the cyclone. Evenso, I always wear ear protection in the shop, because all the machinery makes too much noise for me to tolerate. Also, my Clear-Vue is mounted on a frame with wheels and not connected to the building. My wife hears some of the shop noise, but feels none of the vibration(hence noise).
Good Luck! Bob

Originally posted by Guest_Bob S+Jan 8 2006, 04:33 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest_Bob S @ Jan 8 2006, 04:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ron Bouchard@Jan 6 2006, 07:18 PM

I made a muffler based on the one found on the Bill Pentz site. It's one foot long and the shell is two pieces of six inch metal duct work locked together to make a twelve inch dia. tube. It fits perfectly to the MDF transition piece of the Clear-Vue outlet. Make the guts per the Bill Pentz site and the hardware cloth inner liner transitions from square to round per the info on the Bill Pentz site. The outlet end of the muffler is MDF with a round hole that matches the hole in the filters. A few hose clamps and sheet metal screws and its done. I run the filters with the square ends together in the middle. Most of the noise comes from the outlet of the fan section of the cyclone. Evenso, I always wear ear protection in the shop, because all the machinery makes too much noise for me to tolerate. Also, my Clear-Vue is mounted on a frame with wheels and not connected to the building. My wife hears some of the shop noise, but feels none of the vibration(hence noise).
Good Luck! Bob [/b][/quote]
(edit) I mount the filters with the square ends facing out, so I can use the rubber seals against the muffler and the cleanout box. Sorry about that.

Originally posted by Ron Bouchard@Jan 6 2006, 07:18 PM

I'm just assembling my clear vue unit. I can't find 6" S & D w/gaskets and fittings anywhere. Where did you purchase your pipe & fittings?

Bob,
Check the thread on the PVC pipe and fittings. I think most everyone is using the bell end pipe (slip joints)

Ed

Does anyone have any input on how much an attic installation (as in Fred's low ceiling installation in the Photo Gallery) would decrease noise?

Back