oneida motor/blower with CVC

toddth

I currently have a 3 phase 3hp leeson motor on an oneida 15" backward incline cast aluminum airfoil blower on their cyclone. I have been using it for several years and constantly cleaning out the filter with fine dust-- much of which has ended up on the wall behind the filter. Can I mount this motor blower on a CVC and be any better than what I have? The current cyclone has an 8" inlet and my most demanding machine is probably a 37" widebelt sander. If I size the cyclone to what CV uses for diameter of blower this would work better on the CV1800 which uses 6" pipe. How do I know if that would be better than what I have? I understand I need to improve tool ports also. Would I be farther ahead to get the CVMAX from the start? Money is a concern but so is getting the right system this time.

This question is of interest to me as well. I'm in pretty much the same boat: an Oneida that lets it all the fine stuff get to the filter. I was considering using my blower (mines a 14 1/4" impeller with a 5HP Leeson) with everything else CV.

Fred, you had already changed the motor out, right? It would boil down to adapting the body to the existing blower. Probably doable. My body attaches to the CV blower with 3 screws into a wood ring, IIRC...it's been 6 years. Or if you got the CV blower housing, I know the motor will mount. I think my fan is 15" . I know it was the one right before Ed started making his own. But it's not the Sheldon unit. Hopefully the guys at CV will see the thread and do some calculations for you to make sure the smaller fan will still work ok. Jim.

Todd and Fred,
You might consider contacting Bill Pentz with these questions. If you look at Bill's fan table (Blower Fan Table) for 6" ducting with a high efficiency cyclone and cartridge filters you will see:
a) With a 14" impeller the problem is to keep your ducting below about 8" static pressure for good dust collection (EPA/Med). With a 5HP motor you have ample power but the impeller isn't big enough to use it. Keeping the static pressure below 8" is not realistic for your longer, more complicated runs. A possibility is to go with 7" ducting.
b) With a 3HP motor and a 15" impeller you have too much impeller for the motor. You would have to keep the static pressure high to prevent overloading the motor. My CV1800 uses about 3.5 HP but the precise amount depends on which gate or gates are open.
c) In both cases the cyclone direction should match the fan direction to minimize the motor load and to get maximum airflow.
bababrown

Jim, yeah...I had changed out the motor not long after I bought it, one of the many problems I've had with it. The 2 HP motor that it came with was running in an overload condition with just one gate open. I guess my ducting ws too much for it to handle (only 6"). But I bought the Leeson from ED and put it on, the unit really moves air, as much as I dislike Oneida the design of their impeller is very good.

It should not be a problem. What I would do is ask for an undrilled engine mount plate and adapt that to your motor.

Thanks for the replies. I have been looking at Bill Pentz site for a very long time and have not wanted to bother him If I could find the answers elsewhere. I will wait until after the holidays to email him. I will let you know what I find out.

Bill P is very good to talk to us. It's unfortunate that dust collection is such a hot button on most wood forums. Bill is very passionate about dust collection and health and has done tremendous research. Some people create verbal wars over the subject, and therefore we have lost this information that Bill possesses to a large extent on those forums. Bill private messaged me several times years ago with some ideas and great information on what I was doing in my system. Made me rethink and change things especially on running PVC pipe where I couldn't see it... in my case in the attic...for safety reasons. I think he will be receptive to your questions. Don't get anxious if it is after the first before he replies. It is the Holidays.;) Jim.

Back