Pentz data suggests a 5" and 4" port per machine - How do you do 5'?

Darren

Hi Folks,

I just got done reading a bunch of Pentz data and such and he suggests a 5" and 4" port per machine that cannot accept a 6" port. This is great but where does one find a 6" to 5" wye or reducer or even 5" pipe for that matter.

Is everyone just doing dual 4" and calling it good?

Thanks,
Darren

I doubt you can find 5" components without making your own. which I do not recommend. I changed out the 4" port in the base of my Grizzly cabinet saw (a G1023 SLX) and added a 6" shop built port in the back wall of the cabinet under the blade.

Tablesaw Port 2.jpg

So do you do a 6" and a 4" for a shark guard? Are you just using dual 4" for machines like band saws and say a 6" jointer? I'm trying to figure out if dual 4" will keep the small particles suspended such that my cyclone will indeed keep the small particulates out of the air I breathe.

Last edited:
I have a 4" port equipped Shark Guard for my cabinet saw and a 4" branch of duct (using a 6" x 6" x 4" wye off the same 6" duct serving the saw) with a blast gate before the Shark Guard. There is also a 6" blast gate at the cabinet saw port so the total air flow can be tuned for best performance. I have replaced the original 4" port to my 8" jointer with a 6" port but have not changed the port on my bandsaw. I have looked at various strategies to improve dust extraction at the lower blade guides, but have not implemented one yet. I am using a chip collection bin (based on an old ShopNotes design) to capture chips downstream of my Dewalt planer. The bin is connected to my main CV1800 duct system. I am currently using a ShopVac and CV-06 Mini Cyclone to capture dust at the blade port on my Miter saw, but would like to add a hood with a 6" port at the bottom to capture the amounts I am missing. I use a Festool CT36 dust extractor attached to my Festool orbital sanders and Domino when using those tools to get very efficient capture at the source.

Ah, thanks for the additional information. I just want to be sure I'm not choking the cyclone so it is efficiently separating the fine particles from the air. I'm to the point where a day in the shop can impact my breathing a little. Like I'm beginning to form a bit of sensitivity. I fully recover the next day but I need to take action so I can continue with my hobby into retirement. I'm buying the particle meter as well from Clearvue so I can monitor and be sure. I'm about to pull the trigger on the CV1800 with 16" upgrade and was going to buy some of the 6"-dual 4" wyes with blast gates but wasn't sure how I was going to be able to get enough air flow from two 4". I suppose I can use the dual 4", one port for the shark guard, one port for the router table and a 6" drop below those to the table saw. I could then use the table saw gate to modulate the flow when either of the 4" ports is open. I hope I'm thinking right. Rinse and repeat for other machine clusters. I intend to use hoods on a few of them so they could be 6" with blast gates I could modulate a tad for efficiency.

Last edited:
Back