poor results on drum sander

ducky911

Hi,

I have got my cvmax up and running. It is in a corner of my shop (20ft x 26ft) in a closet. I have 8" pvc running diagonal with 4 6" runs off the 8" main than multiple machines on each run. Unfortunately my 2244 drum sander is on the farthest point but with just using the 4" stock port my dylos reading is steady at the machine.

Problem: I open my closet and put my dylos in and than started to run the drum sander with its 4" port and the planers 4" port (same 6" line) open. The readings quickly went up to 3000. I was watching the dust in the cyclone and the angle of the dust seamed low so I waited for normal readings and also open a 6" gate on the first lateral to add air. Well the dylos went up less than 100 points.

So I must have been getting better seperation with more air. But there is a problem with the filters I do not beleave that there is a leak but I will keep looking. I have the nano filters not sure if they will do better when seasoned.

Any thoughts
thanks
Bob

Last edited:
Bob,
If I'm reading the filter data correctly, a lot of small particles will go thru the nano filter as it comes out of the box. Go to the Wynn environmental site and click on cyclone filters. Then click on filter efficiency. The data shows that the out-of-box efficiency is only about 80% for particles under 0.5 um or so. The efficiency improves rapidly as the filter loads up. When you are using a drum sander you will throw a lot of fine dust at the cyclone and not much would need to get thru to the filters to give a high Dylos reading. So, as you say, check for leaks and see if the numbers improve after some use. One other thought is that the small closet may concentrate the dust.
bababrown

Poor result with drum sander

Poor result with drum sander

I too will place my CV 1800 in a closet and have a lot of drum sander dust. Would a small exhaust fan to the outside help clear the closet not considering heat/cooling loss.

I am in a similar situation. I use a drum sander and cannot run my cyclone without filters. It is in a closet and I have to have my wynn nano filters installed or dust goes everywhere. I have to tap clean them every other dust bin empty. It has been a very frustrating 2 years.

5fishwood,
I'm confused by you "having to have the wynn filters installed". Please write back with some more detail. Are you trying to vent outside? Also, are you quite sure you have all the leaks sealed at the bottom of the cyclone. It sounds like you have a fair amount of experience with this. Are you using a particle counter or are you getting visible dust? How much dust do you take out of the filter at cleaning?, etc.
bababrown

I did try to vent outside but the dust was very visible when sanding. I keep the filters on because the dust build up in the closet happens quickly and is not good for motor life. Every other dust bin empty I tap my filters with a carpenters pry bar and remove a 5 gallon spackle bucket of dust. I have not been able to find any leaks. My dust bin is a medical grade container with porcelain coated steel and locking lid with gasket that held an alcohol mix.

5fishwood,
If you are collecting 5 gallons of dust in the filters for every two bin-fulls (say 50 gallons) then about 10% of the dust by volume is getting through the cyclone. I could believe 10% of the total number of particles might get through the cyclone but they would represent far less than 1% 0f the volume or weight. A particle counter shows number of particles. This cyclone should separate almost everything over 2 micrometers. I've just reviewed work by Chung, et al for sanding of oak with 80 grit paper (not much difference with 240 grit) that shows far less than 1% of the dust by volume under 2 micrometer. So I think you are getting very poor separation with the cyclone. Many of us have been there and I can tell you that the slightest leak anywhere at the bottom of the cyclone will mess up separation. There are many posts on separation and leaks. By the way, I feel your pain!
bababrown

I have looked at various posts on leaks and tried everything I can think of. Even called clear vue and worked with them last year. Just very frustrated with this problem. I think I would have been better off with a couple of shop vacs outside my shop and just swapped hoses to different tools. At least I wouldnt feel like I wasted alot of money on this product. sorry if i hijacked this thread it was not my intention just wanted to contribute to the thread

Back