Portable Rig

ghfloorman

Hello. Great site. Something extremely civilized about it.
Anyhow, I am a hardwood flooring contractor in the San Francisco bay area (Marin county), and I am looking into various solutions to the inevitable accumulation of sanding dust in my clients homes. The on-board dust collection systems (dust bag) on my drum sanders and edgers could be a little better, but the real culprit is the 16" buffer. This is used to perform the final "fine" sanding with a 120-grit sanding screen. Man is that a lot of dust. I would really like to put together a portable, high volume system. There are some that are commercially available, and the coolest ones incorporate a cyclone separator. In fact, one fellow floorman I have emailed claims near 100% dust collection with his unit. It incorporates a 280cfm 75" suction "vacuum", a cyclone that looks to be about 30 inches total top to bottom, and a smallish 30 gallon drum (another 30") under the cyclone. The filter in the vacuum portion comes in at around 30 sq. feet and is sort of folded 10 or 12 times, with an inch between each surface ("99.9% @ .5 microns"). The inlets look to be 2". He claims that he doesn't even hang plastic between the work area and the rest of the house!

My idea is to create (or purchase) a comparable system. I would very much appreciate any insight you folks might have. As dust collection is finally getting the attention it deserves, perhaps you have already explored the possibilities for a portable system.

Thanks!

George
Gallery Hardwood Floors, Inc.
ghfloors@sbcglobal.net

George,
We have been working on just what you are looking for. I have a video on our website, but there isn't a link to it yet because we aren't quite ready to start producing them. We tested it with MDF dust and it works great. Also ran tests with saw dust and planer chips....they all work great. Anyway, if you want to look at the video follow this link.

Shop Vac Video

Ed

Thanks, Ed.

The video is wonderful! Keep me posted on the developments, alright? Also, did you slightly alter the geometry of the cyclone when you made the mini? It looks relatively tall for its diameter. Is that so, and if so, is it to increase the centrifugal forces? This stuff fascinates me.

Thanks!
George

Back