Question on blast gates

bababrown

The CV blast gates tend to want to fall out if fully opened. This is especially true if the gate is vertical. I've put a small sheet metal screw through some of them to keep the gate in; the gate then closes fully but does not open quite completely. I also can just pull the gate out and hang it with a small cable. How do others handle the gates? Thanks,
bababrown

Hi,

I pull mine out then 'cock' it to one side or the other and that prevents it from getting sucked back in (normally my problem). If your gates are sticking when you pull on them and then releases causing you to pull it all the way out you could coated it with johnson's paste wax so it'll slide better. Instead of a screw we used to use a torch to heat a spot then set the gate on something with about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch hole then push with a 1/4 inch bolt creating a dimple and then popping the gate in but as you said it doesn't fully open and that's why we stopped. be careful with the torch if you decide to do that......hold the tip of the flame about an inch away and in one spot for about 2 secs and the heat will spread and get soft......don't hold the torch there until it's soft cause you will have a mess.

Just some ideas,

Matt

Blast gates

Blast gates

Matt,
Thanks for the info. The blast gates are built really nicely and they fit like a glove. Some do stick but it only happens when I get the pipes in too tight. I've got my CV-1800 installed and running but I'm now working the plumbing. It's painfully slow work (as you know) since each machine has to be reworked. I'll post photos when I get further along. Thanks again,
bababrown

I am glad to hear you have the cyclone installed and working! I know the plumbing is time consuming to say the least but it's worth it! After having several experiments hanging in my shop and hooking everything up in a hurry I am currently in the process of redoing mine.....took one of the experiments down and installed a new cv1800 sunday and finished mon.......now I just have to build/modify/move piping and guards in hope to have a woodworking shop now that clearvue moved out.

Good Luck and I look foward to seeing the pictures,

Matt

Back