Questions about industrial use

B

bc

Hello,

I work in a printing and publishing facility. Our new sewing machines come with terrible dust collections. Currently we require dust collection at the drill which predrills a hole in the book for the sewing needle and we also need dust collection at the point where the thread gets cut between books (2" scraps of thread with wet glue on them)

I need to totally replace the current system which consists of a 5hp blower with 2.5" tubing to a cyclonic container (looks like an overpriced shopvac with fins inside) which has 2.5" tubing going to the drill bit. There is nothing collecting the cut threads yet.

The books go through the machine one at a time and gets glue applied on the threads after the book gets sewn so the thread does not back out. Then the thread is cut away from the book leaving ~1.5" thread waste to fall down into the machine (yes more ingeneous design work) The glue will gum up the tubing but we have to get the thread out of the machine.

I would like to get a proper cyclone system hooked up to these sewing machines. There are other industrial cyclone manufacturers but I am intersted in the clear vue because I am guessing I will be able to monitor the impeller blade from the outside and should be able to see if there is residue buildup anywhere in the system.

Could you please let me know if I am looking in the right direction or should I go elsewhere? We are looking to purchase a system within the next week or two.

Thanks!
chaub@jostens.com

It's hard to know how a system might function with paper dust - whether it's characteristics may be different enough to cause issues.

Your point about possible build up (whether in a cyclone or elsewhere) could be an issue - apart from blocking effects the CV impeller is large enough and fast enough running that any build up on it could be problematical.

Chances are that if it's an industrial application that it would be best to contact Clear Vue directly: http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/

It seems like quite a lot could depend on the nature and layout of the dust producing operation too. The CV unit is laid out to deliver a large low pressure volume at the point where a woodworking tool is making dust via single large duct from the machine hood, but if you have multiple locations this could require a different multi duct approach.

In favour of the CV (presuming it works as on wood dust) is the likelihood that the cyclone should prevent significant quantities of dust reaching the impeller/blower.

it's also a very cost effective approach, and lends itself to easy experimentation.

Noise is potentially also a consideration, these systems move a lot of air and might need care in location and sound proofing if running all the time with people close by.

Dust volumes produced might or might not be another issue. Lots of dust receiving arrangements are possible, but the stock system uses quite a small fibre drum.

ian

Hi,
I am agree with you that you say these systems move a lot of air and might need care in location and sound proofing if running all the time with people close by. And this is very useful for all who is going through this problem.

Back