Quick disconnect for 6" ideas?

gstuartw

I'm running 6" pvc all the way to my drum sander. I've done this by cutting the 4" port out of the door on top of the sander and fitting an HVAC 6" x 4" x 12" stack boot into the new opening. You can see photos of the modification in my installation photos in the gallery section. I'm confident this will be a good modification but have one issue I'd like suggestions on.

In order to change sandpaper on the drum the top door lifts up on one side and hinges toward the back. The stiffness of the flex will require some effort and distortion or a detrimental amount of slack in the flex.

I'd like to come up with a simple, easy to operate disconnect system for the connection to the 6" drop. As we all know, getting the flex over the PVC or in my case HVAC union fittings is frustrating at best.

My first thought is to mate 6" flanges or use a 6" union, both of which are clunky looking. If you have seen my gallery you might tell I'm a bit concerned with the aesthetics of my system and shop overall so any more suggestions for more elegant solutions are appreciated. (Can you use the term "elegant" in conjunction with a wood shop???)

Probably the simplest connector would be a short section of straight pipe that mates with the boot and your flex. Ideally, it would fit outside the boot, but a friction fit would be best. A small amount of leakage should be acceptable -- you want to be able to remove it easily to service the drum.

Back