Rockwool vs Foam vs ?

AllenL

I am designing a closet for a CVMAX I have yet to install. It seems there are an endless number of options for noise reduction. I would love to hear people's opinions regarding what they think works best and is reasonably economical: rock wool, acoustic foam, acoustiblok, staggered studs, sound board...

Should I skip drywall on the inside walls of the closet?

I won't be venting outside. For return airflow I am considering building a baffle/folded plenum, but it also seems insulated duct with a corner or two would work just as well.

Thanks for your thoughts and experience.
Allen

I used a material called soundboard from Home Depot to cover fiberglass between 2x4 studs. It comes in 4x8 sheets for a fairly reasonable price. It looks like a dark brown fiberous material that is used for sound deadening either on roofs or under floors. I nailed it in place with sheetrock nails.

The soundboard was only used on the inside walls. The outside is plywood, but could just as easily have been sheetrock.

Steve

Last edited:
I am designing a closet for a CVMAX I have yet to install. It seems there are an endless number of options for noise reduction. I would love to hear people's opinions regarding what they think works best and is reasonably economical: rock wool, acoustic foam, acoustiblok, staggered studs, sound board...

Should I skip drywall on the inside walls of the closet?

I won't be venting outside. For return airflow I am considering building a baffle/folded plenum, but it also seems insulated duct with a corner or two would work just as well.

Thanks for your thoughts and experience.
Allen

Allen,
When I did my installation this last time, I used rock wool. Previously, I used regular insulation with window screen to hold it in place. I would say that rock wool is by far the best noise control that you can do and it's relatively inexpensive. With the unit running and the closet door closed, I measured about 65 db in my shop. I would also skip the sheet rock on the inside of the closet....you don't need it.

that is yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaakh

Back